"Walking Alone" Crunch Time!!!

JohnnyAmato

Wow have I been busy, whew.

The Laurie Green record I'm producing is a little over halfway done, er, tracked, and it now has a name- Addison Lane "Back To Balance".

Been a crazy few weeks, er, months; a few weeks ago she filmed a video at the lakefront for this track, with actors and the whole nine, I'm in it, too, during the solo, playing right in front of Lake Michigan, was super cool. The video editing is just about done, and they need the finished, mixed version of the song Saturday night. EEK! I wanted to post it a little sooner for feedback, but have simply been too busy. Anyway, been mixing it hard the last few days, and always having forever-and-a-day to mix my own stuff, I'm definitely not used to deadlines, and admittedly a little nervous. Made a few tweaks after listening on other systems, comparing it to reference tracks, and taking into account all the awesome feedback I got from you guys when I posted the first rough mixes a while back.

I'm sure they can wait an extra day or two if any of you hear some drastic issues with the mix. And as long as it's good enough for the video, I can always do some more minor tweaks later for the finished CD release, but I'm nervous nonetheless.

I pray to God I'm close with it here.

Dropbox - WalkingAloneMix8Demo.wav

This is a quality mix. Levels seem fine to me. Vocal is out front as it should be. That's all I got.

Sounds really good man! The low end is smooth and controlled. Like the placement of guitars. Solo, guitar accents and vocals all feel in the right place.

Maybe just a nudge in the 11K and up area for a little sizzle at the master out, but that is just my personal opinion. I would say this tune is in the can man. :)

Well done!

Rock steady, and the vocal is fantastic. I could tell from the opening "Oooo yeah, yeah yeah yeah" how good this was gonna be :D

It's great to hear a good female rock vocal. This one has a little smokiness/gravel to it. Nice job :thumbs up:

Sounds good, Johnny.
Rhythm guitars fight very slightly with the vocals (Maybe EQ dip the guitars 2.2k area? Lower the volume a db or so?). This mix is close. I'd save this one, then tinker with the fighting guitars in a 2nd mix to see if you can resolve that any better. I think because the guitars are doubled (they sound doubled, correct me if I'm wrong) it's creating some build up.

Last edited:
Sounds good, Johnny.
Rhythm guitars fight very slightly with the vocals (EQ dip 2.2k area? Low volume a db or so?). This mix is close. I'd save this one, then tinker with the fighting guitars in a 2nd mix to see if you can resolve that any better. I think because the guitars are doubled (or at least sound doubled) it's creating some build up.

Huh?

I think the vocal is too loud, in some spots. If I was struggling to hear anything, it was usually the snare. Otherwise, rock solid mix man. Nice work, do you get to take a little break for your own stuff now?

Yep, this is a really good mix. Nothing sticks out on a first listen other than that it's kind of boringly good. I can't really picture a client being unhappy with it.

Thanks everyone! Since almost all of you said the mix was good as is, I just went with this version for the video, sent it out a few days ago. Client was happy, video coming along and will be released in a week or so. Might make a few minor tweaks when the actual record/cd is put together in a month or so, depending on how the record flows. Thanks again!

Fantastic Johnny! Very pro sounding mix. The most professional sounding mix I have heard here in a long time.
You're killing it bro!

Back