Waffleness - Failure

Waffleness

Ahoy,

Here's a recent song I got round to doing called 'Failure'. Its an instrumental.

www.waffleness.co.uk

Let me know what you think. I was aiming for an epic 'end of the world' type song that you get at the end of action movies, with a massive crescendo at the end. I had fun making it :D

Thanks for your time!

W

The title pulled me in to have a listen. I can see this as the end of a movie closing credit type song. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it. Good job.

Thanks for sharing.

Hello Wafflness,
Nothing like trying to pull off the soundtrack to the Apocalypse to focus the mind -
The repeated lower note from the piano doesn't quite sit right in my ears - too much "boing" I think.
The panning feature is a little too constant and fast for me also. I'd like to hear slower & less evenly spaced zooms & perhaps from differing directions occasionally.
The build around 2.40 is impressive & the guitar chop repeat works well too.
Nice use of dynamics towards the end.
Pretty flash!

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the thoughts.

Rayc - what do you mean by panning feature? and what is a zoom? :D

Sounds pretty good, but it sounds a bit half-finished to me. I feel that for the dance-floor part of it, you could use some more electronic sound. Of course, I guess it's a matter of taste with the merging of the different kinds of music in the track. I see this one belonging to a dance spectacle. Recording sounds good to me.

Joe :):)

Thanks for the feedback!

Joeym - I was toying with making it a trance track, but I had always envisioned it as a orchestral rock arrangement. Who knows - I may do a trance cover of it one day. That would be fun :D

stupidfatnugly - Thanks for the listen. Everything on there is sampled except for the guitars. Guitar is DI'd and then put through 2 virtual amps on cubase studio 4. All other instruments are from NI Kontakt 3. The trombone ensemble is probably the most defined horn section, as the trumpets that do the main melody are backed up by some synths (also from K3). The strings are cellos and violins samples, and are a mixture of sustain and marcato articulations.

My main concern would be that it all sounds rather a little "out of the box" ... if you understand ... good midi, but midi still.

The arrangement is VERY VERY good, and the frenetic build to close is deftly handled ...

... but it sounds just like it was put together w/ the stock sounds found in the program w/o any manipulation to any individual preset -- resulting in a good sound, but sonically, comparatively, on the sterile dry side.

... like good midi, but clearly midi.

My suggestion would only be to take what you've got and twist/tweak everything to lend more of a sonic signature to the individual elements you've got going ... so that they don't sound as "preset" as presented here.

Other than that individual preference point, this was a very enjoyable listen. Nice work.

Kev-

My main concern would be that it all sounds rather a little "out of the box" ... if you understand ... good midi, but midi still.

The arrangement is VERY VERY good, and the frenetic build to close is deftly handled ...

... but it sounds just like it was put together w/ the stock sounds found in the program w/o any manipulation to any individual preset -- resulting in a good sound, but sonically, comparatively, on the sterile dry side.

... like good midi, but clearly midi.

My suggestion would only be to take what you've got and twist/tweak everything to lend more of a sonic signature to the individual elements you've got going ... so that they don't sound as "preset" as presented here.

Other than that individual preference point, this was a very enjoyable listen. Nice work.

Kev-

Thanks for the kind feedback! I will experiment with it a bit more and try carve out my own sound from it.

At some stage you've something panning across the soundstage. It gets annoying after a while - that's all.

Back