Waffleness - Artichoke (2)

Waffleness

Hey again,

I found some time to make some changes to the track. Again, can be found here:

www.waffleness.co.uk

I added some drum articulations and changed a few of the voices around. Less staccato in the strings, and a different brass sound. Few minor changes to the parts.

I really don't know how much better it sounds - it is an improvement though. I am beginning to get accepting of it. It still sounds very MIDI/sample but I feel I need to let this one go soon and move onto a new project. Might come back and record some real brass when I can.

Let me know what you think. Thanks very much for the feedback so far, its very helpful.

Waffleness,
It seems a little beefier - not steroidal just a little more punch - could be the perc articulation. The brass sample does seem better.

The only things that stands out to me is the trombone sample and the bass minin solo that follows the tromb. The former still sounds wrong and the latter is too quiet in that couple of bars.

It's a really good piece but if you're tiring of it best put it aside for a while.

Hey dude, this is really good. The piano playing is really cool. The part around 2:07 is very grooving. Very nice.

If you feel you're wanting to put it on the shelf and move on, that's understandeable. You could always leave it like Ray said and come back to it later. If you have it saved on the computer that's the best thing to save a project then take a break.

The Piano playing super dude. Very cool. I always I could play like that. And even compose cool stuff.

The stuff around 1:17 did sound MIDI like. But maybe 'coz your post said MIDI, so it affect my impression.

The trumpet/trombone stuff around the end sounds pretty cool. The heavy perc around 4:09 sound big. Nice.

Thanks Ray and bubba, your very kind.

ray - to make it a bit beefier I played around with the bass tracks a bit. I will keep an eye on the trombone solo and bass riff in the middle when I next mix it.

bubba - I will try and smooth out the main theme a little bit as I know its a bit robotic occasionally. The big perc at the end is basically a tom roll on the kit with bags and bags of reverb and an orchestral bass drum rolling in the background. The first time I tried it it nearly melted my monitors :rolleyes: im glad it payed off

I shall bear your comments in mind and maybe change it a little.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

This is a really nice piece!
What's that thunder-like rumble in the beginning, a drum? It really gives it depth. Piano work is very good. Only nit I have are the different levels. You have some stuff that sounds a bit low and some other that is too loud at times. Really funky groove. I like it ;)

Joe :D:D

Some of the patches - the piano for example - sound very compressed. The horns have lots of dynamics on the other hand. I'd like to hear the compressed stuff come out a bit more. That's all that struck me while listening to the piece - mostly very good.... Awesome playing - I could listen to this stuff all day...:D

This is a really nice piece!
What's that thunder-like rumble in the beginning, a drum? It really gives it depth. Piano work is very good. Only nit I have are the different levels. You have some stuff that sounds a bit low and some other that is too loud at times. Really funky groove. I like it ;)

Joe :D:D

Thank you so much :) Yeah its a orchestral bass drum 16th note roll.

I will touch up a few of the levels. Thanks for your time.

Some of the patches - the piano for example - sound very compressed. The horns have lots of dynamics on the other hand. I'd like to hear the compressed stuff come out a bit more. That's all that struck me while listening to the piece - mostly very good.... Awesome playing - I could listen to this stuff all day...

The piano is slightly compressed yes, I did it to keep the levels in check between the introduction and the crescendo. I will look into it. Thanks for your comment :D

Sounds very good. The only thing that still bugging me is the trombone solo. Sounds too complicated. A real player would have a very hard time playing this live. And at the same time, the more complicated that you play it, sounds more fake. You can hear it is played by keyboard. Simplified a little and can sound wonderful. I'm sorry that I'm so nitpicky but I had a ska band for like 11 years and I've hear more trombones that i would like. LOL. Good job.

Back