VST's .. how to find the best ones?

trampintransit

OK ....total newbie with Adobe Audition here. Really clueless. I've set myself a task ...a video clip of a stand up interview outdoors, halfway through which a PA kicks off, it's speech but very 'bottomy' ..so ...I've got 30seconds of the interview with the guy talking clean (ish - there's stuff going on in the background but perfectly acceptable ) THe PA however sounds rubbish and makes it sound awful.

There is no audio with just the PA in the clip ( there may be audio elsewhere with the PA being the main component and probably from a very similar perspective now I think about it) But there is audio with the guy talking but no PA ( Is this making sense?)

I can get some improvement by EQ'ing out the bottom end but is there a VST that'll do a better job of it. Can it 'sample' the audio without the PA and then exclude it once it kicks in?

This all sounds like the kind of magic that used to be considered impossible but now I'm not so sure?

I know there's an algorithm or function that can, with moderate success, "separate" two sounds from each other-- you can still hear one sound in the other sound's file, but it's greatly muted-- although I don't know if anyone has created a plugin for it. What I saw was presented as a sort of "demo" during a lecture in an online "Machine Learning" class. One audio file was of people conversing at a party while some music was playing in the background. The algorithm generated one file of (mostly) just the conversations and another file of (mostly) just the music playing in the background.

I just checked my notes from that class and this is called the "cocktail party problem algorithm," and the solution that I saw in the online "Machine Learning" class was a function written in MATLAB. A search for "cocktail party problem algorithm" turns up a lot of hits.

I would roll off the bottom end of the interview soundtrack right from the start, take the roll off as high as you can before it effects the voice in the interview, then when the PA kicks in the muddy bottom end should be lowered in volume.

You could end try an eq where you completely flatten all frequencies below 100 or 120hz and bring the eq slope up to about 300hz. You will need to experiment.

Alan.

Yup..I've already got away with as much EQ'ing as I can .... The advise I'm getting is to splash out on an expensive VST ...Izotrope RX5 . I'm gonna be doing a lot more of this so I guess it makes sense!. snag is ....basic version .. 350dollars ...advanced ....1300 dollars .... *GULP*

Back