VST Placement of .dll's In Cubase

jamusic

So I've had Cubase 7 for about a month now, and I went to load up some VSTs yesterday, and see that only some of my many VST's are showing up as available.

*EDIT: In the 5th column titled 'File', I can see that the Instrument VSTs that are available are only the ones that show as .'dll'. All the Audio FX ones seem to be fine.

So according to the manual:

Installing VST 2 plug-ins on Windows systems

...On Windows systems, VST 2.x plug-ins are installed by dragging the files (with the extension “.dll”) into the Vstplugins folder in the Cubase application folder, or into the Shared VST Plug-in folder – see below...

So...does that simply mean copying & pasting the .dlls of each VST and leaving all else of the installed VSTs just where they are?

And this may seem obvious, but just what/where exactly is the 'Cubase application folder'?

I have my VSTs installed where they work just fine with my 2 other DAWs, [now sitting idle], so I'm hoping not to have to move or re-install them anywhere else.

Thanks Buds,

James

Last edited:
Well what Steinberg (and maybe VST developers) are trying to do is make life easy on you and Cubase by only having Cubase scan one folder. Of course, you are free to force it to scan the locations of all other folders as well. Those VSTs that install straight to the VST Plugins folder are often scanned automatically with no further hassle.

In regards to your problem, what other formats other than .dll do your plug-ins have?

Hey Bane,

As far as I know I only have .dlls.

Upon further inspection, it's only some of the VST instruments that aren't there. All the FX seem to have shown up.

I clicked on Vst 2.x Plug-in Paths 'ADD' the paths to point to them, but they didn't show up.

In the Plug-in Information screen the only instruments that show up in the 'VST Instruments' pop up window to choose from, [F11], are the ones that have '.dll' at the end of them under the 'File' column, regardless of the shown path.

And yes, all of these scanned automatically upon install of Cubase 7 without me having to do anything, which I thought was cool.

Last edited:
Ok, so after some horsin' around, I have some positive results.

Pretty much all of my Vst Instruments are showing up and loading up into Cubase now.

Seems that the only ones that aren't now are those that would be 'sfz' sound font players:

ie: Zeta+, and Rapture.

And yet Alchemy does show up.

Not entirely sure why, but the clue is that the ones that do show up, all have '.dll' visible as the next & last stage in the path when I 'Add' a folder as mentioned in the posts above.

Of course, other than Alchemy, those don't have '.dll' anywhere in their files, so I will continue onward with this and post if I figure it out.

If I'm missing something, it would be great to have some insight.

But I'm quite happy I spent the time at it yesterday.

I've now got Garritan PO 4 there, which I bought years ago, but have never really messed with it yet. :)

Last edited:
Well, I've got even more results.

With a little time & attention to the folders and pathways, I now have Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3ta+2 and other VST instruments + VST FX available.

I see what I have to do with them and can now move a few things around if need be, although I like the idea of having a nice streamlined selection of both instruments and FX, without too many crowding it all up.

Any ways, it's all good now.

Thanks for the replies and efforts to help out Buds,

James

Back