vst or direct X?

vst plugin or direct x plugin witch one gives the best result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

insanek9

witch plugins is the best? direct X or vst?

anyone got any links to places to download plugins?
i prefer free download sites
but im open for any good suggestions
dident someone say: u cant put a price on good music and the feeling it gives you.. so help me make complete harmony between vocal and beat:P

a thank-you up front from

K-9/DIRTY SOUTH/ NORWAY

That's like asking which is better, oranges or apples. They are two different plugins that work on different systems. Some programs can run both. Which is better depends on a lot of factors: how easy is it for you to use; Does it do what you want. I've noticed that price does tend to lend toward how seamless they are when in use, as well as clarity. There are a lot of free plugins out there. That's what google is for.

Yeah, neither is better than the other. If you use a host that supports both formats, then it doesn't matter. If you are trying to decide on a host and format support is the deciding factor, I think you will find more options in vst plugins, mostly because the sdk is pretty straight forward and easy to figure out, and there are lots of sample projects out there. The latest VST sdk also adds support for a lot of features.

I think directX is sort of phasing out, but I could be wrong on that.

As for CPU usage? You are not going to notice any difference.

Well, there is a difference. DirectX is ran outside of the DAW (I believe it is native to the O/S) and has to go through another layer of code which adds cpu usage. VST's run from within the DAW and are more efficient resource-wise. Plus, there's a greater selection of free vst's available. At least from what I could tell from my searches.

I believe there is a little more overhead in running a directX plugin, but the calculations are the same. This overhead is negligible unless you add a million plugins. There do seem to be a ton more free vst's out there.

I believe there is a little more overhead in running a directX plugin, but the calculations are the same. This overhead is negligible unless you add a million plugins. There do seem to be a ton more free vst's out there.
If you have to add a million plugins, it's time to go back and revisit your tracking techniques...

Back