Vsr-880

VartRecords

Does anybody work with VSR-880? Short description I could find says that this unit is just rackmounted version of VS-880. Does anybody know if it is possible to use it in the mode of "mixing console", e.g. record any number of tracks and then mixdown to CD, are there any AUX send/returns for external processors/effects, build-in EQ controls for each track?

Thanks in advance

You can use as a stand alone unit or as a supplement to the VS mixers (adding tracks). Front panel controls don't lend themselves well for mixing on the fly, but it comes bundled with VS Logic (a stripped down version of Logic Audio that works as a control surface and midi sequencer for the VSR 880.

There's also another program called Virtualizer (Not associated with Roland) that controls almost all of the parameters of the 880 in a very friendly environment (although the install is a bit less than "friendly"). Check out VS planet for the email address of the author. You'll receive a demo version via email.

It has Aux and Effect sends & returns, and will record a sync track without taking up an audio track. In 24 bit mode you can only use 6 tracks at a time. MMC MTC supported. Basically any features that you'd find on a decent mixer.

Steve

Oh...

EQ with Freq. & Q control.

No onboard effects but can be purchased as option. Same effects board that comes standard on a number of the VS mixers.

There... I think that answers everything

I've had the units for just about a week now. I'm happy enough with it (primarily by the price). I bought it to record vocals and other mic’ed instruments without the computer fans whirring in the background. Then mix and master between a Tascam TM-D1000 and DAW (yes it has TDIF ins and outs, along with SPDIF, and ADAT. No separate word Clock I/O though :( ).

I've had limited success getting the software (both Virtualizer & VS Logic) and the 880 to recognize each other even though they are talking to each other (using midi monitor and LED’s on the front panel of a MOTU MIDI Express hub).

I'm sure it's a configuration problem with the 880 parameters but the documentation is not clear on required settings. I actually had better results after I put the manuals down and just set it up without instruction.

I know the highest bit rate is 24, but I'm not convinced yet that it will output digital audio any higher than 44.1. The documentation claim 24/48... but you know how misleading some manufacturers claims can be.

Steve

I've had my VSR880 since February.For the record,the one I have still records all 8 tracks in 24 bit mode,as well as in linear 16 bit MAS mode.It has 3 sample rates,32,44.1,and 48 khz,although I only use 44.1 so I can use it via R-bus with my VM3100 Pro. It's a good little machine,and a good buy at current ($499) prices.

Thanks Virtual.Ray,

I'm still flipping through the manuals, and pushing buttons to set this thing up. I'm generally very good at MIDI (most of my gear is MIDI controlable), but this thing's got me scratching my head.

I know that it's sending sys ex and MMC by monitoring midi traffic with MIDI OX. I can also verify that it's recieving MMC from the TM-D1000 but it doesn't seem to respond to any commands, or answer any requests from Logic when it loads.

Was your 880 bundle with VS Logic? DId you try to load it? I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything obvious here. I don't see anywhere in VS Logic where you can assign a midi port to the VSR 880, it appears as though they designed the software to search for the 880 on any active midi ports.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks guys for your replies...

But, can I use any external mixer (let's say Alesis Studio 24) connecting via 8 analog RCA in/outs, to track/record/mixdown?

Thanks

Back