VS880 to PC, CD Burner, bigger HD

Sage

Hi HomeRec Friends,

I just got a VS880ex from a friend, and I have some questions for you more experienced folks.

1. What are the best ways to transfer data from the 880 to my PC? What equipment do I need to do that?

2. Do I need the special Plextor/Roland CD burner for backups? Or can I transfer to my PC, then backup to a CD burner from there?

3. If I need a Plextor, where can I get one?

4. My VS880 hard drive is only.5G, where can I find bigger hard drives that I can install in the 880?

PS: The when I try to log on to vsplanet I get an access forbidden message. Are they having a problem, or is it me?

Thanks in advance, and thanks also for all the great info I've gained
from this BBS (this is my first posting).

Sage

I can probably answer some of your questions:

1) The VS Planet seems to be temporarily out of service (again). They had mentioned that due to the amount of traffic, they were having some problems keeping the board up and running. Would guess it'll probably be back soon.

2. Most 880 users (I have an 840) seem to be transfering to PC using sound cards with SPDIF digital input. The Soundblaster Platinum seems to be a popular, low $$ choice and it comes prepacked with software for sequencing songs and burning CD's.

2) To back up the actual Roland sound files from the 880, I believe you'll need either a Roland or Plextor Burner. Using the PC will convert you tracks to .WAV files.

3) I've never heard of an 880ex with a .5 meg drive. Are you sure of this? If you truly have an EX (not just an 880), I would bet you have more space. The hard drive comes partitioned from the factory and you need to chage between partitions to gain additional space (IDE:0, IDE:1, etc.). Also, users at the Planet have reported swapping the internal hard drive for a Toshiba 10 gig drive (out of a toshiba laptop).

Thanks for all the great info Burton.

I have a .5 gig drive, not .5 meg. I know the Roland will only support a maximum of 4 gigs, but it's hard to find smaller hard drives these days.
Sage

My typo! Sorry, I meant .5 gigs also. I believe that all the 880ex's came with either 3 or 4 gig hard drives, so I don't know how your drive could possibly be that small. I also believe that a 10 gig drive can be used with the 880ex and broken out into 1 gig partitions. Check out the VS Planet 880 BBS (when it's back up).

[This message has been edited by Burton (edited 03-01-2000).]

Burton, They first came with .5 gig, later 1 gig, and now they have a 2.1 gig (you can check with retailers or Roland for specs). And I know the maximum capacity per drive is 4 gig in 1 gig partitions, I've read the specs in my manuals. Thanks, Sage

Back