VS2480 dynamics question

peep_delta

Feel like a moron asking this, because I've had my 2480 for some time now, but here goes.

Scenario: I'm recording something (vocal, let's say) on channel 1. Getting levels and such, I notice she's hitting the peak setting (set for 0dB for me) just occasionally. Plus I hear the brief distortion, when she clips, on the headphones or monitors.

So I engage the INPUT compressor, set the ratio to 4:1 with a relatively high threshold of -10dB to grab any stray peaks (turn AutoGain off).

But I still occasionally hear the distortion. What did I do wrong? Should I use the TRACK compressor instead? Is my ratio too low? Set my threshold lower so that it acts on the audio sooner?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
peep

well your input compressor is after the input volume,and in this case the distortion..
You will have to lower the level before it goes into the 2480 via the input gain or the PAD or compressor before the 2480
also has your unit had the preamp distortion fix?

mikey@thecave said:
well your input compressor is after the input volume,and in this case the distortion..
You will have to lower the level before it goes into the 2480 via the input gain or the PAD or compressor before the 2480
also has your unit had the preamp distortion fix?

? preamp distortion fix ? what's that?

Hey Peep. VS2480, eh? Great Machine. I have the VS-2000. What sort of music are you recording. The solution to your problem is pretty simple. You're levels are too hot. Turn down your gain pots. Are you recording at 24bit or 16bit. I believe Roland suggests that you track at around -12dbfs with your peaks going to around -4 AT MOST. (I've spoken to some people who think roland is crazy and that you should track at much lower levels, especially when recording at 24bit). Anything hotter is flirting with clipping. As for the compressor, I wouldn't use it when tracking. After you've laid down your tracks you can add gain with compressors, limiters, the faders, etc. One thing I've found valuable, is not to compete with the volume of commercial CD's. Getting involved in the loudness wars against commercial studios with $100,000's of dollars in equipment is a losing and silly battle. So, back off on that compressor and don't use while tracking. That's my advice.

Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for your responses, but especially to you PHILANDON.

I had assumed that I could use the 2480's compressors as peak limiters for tracking. Now I just do more gain riding during tracking, and I'm very conscious of staying below -4.

You da man.

peep_delta said:
Thanks to all of you for your responses, but especially to you PHILANDON.

I had assumed that I could use the 2480's compressors as peak limiters for tracking. Now I just do more gain riding during tracking, and I'm very conscious of staying below -4.

You da man.

Woohoo!! I helped someone, usually I'm the one asking for help on these boards...............

Back