VS-880 as digital thru

Soundscaper

Here’s my question:

I have DAW with a SPDIF out running to my VS-880. Is there any way I can make the VS-880 a digital thru? When I finalize and master my songs in sound forge I want to be able to send them to the DAT machine for back up through the VS-880 with out adding any volume increase or decrease from the VS-880. I do not want to disconnect the VS-880 from my chain. Does anyone know how to do this?

I don't see why this wouldn't work. I used to use my 880 to connect my computer to my monitors through via SPDIF. Once I got to the 880 I used the master outs to the monitors, but I bet you could go out digital right to the DAT. You might have to turn off that digital copyright stuff, it's so many letters that I can't ever remember what it's called... SCM blah blah blah or something, but it essentially keeps you from making a digital copy of something for more than one generation. I don't even know if this applies to what you trying to do since you aren't actually recording it to the 880 again, and then recording it to the DAT. Whatever, anyway...

Like I said before, what you are trying to do should work. You will have to setup a few things in the 880, mainly telling it to use an external sync for the digital connection (set MasterClick in the Sys parmeters to EXT after you have it connected to the computer) and possibly enable a few other things for it to be able to receive the signal. Then you could assign the incoming signal to two of the tracks for stereo, pan them full left and right, then connect the DAT to the SPDIF out and see if you are getting a signal. You could adjust the volume on the 880 to a standard level for each song you transfer to DAT this way and thereby the 880 wouldn't cause any discrepancies in volume level between songs. Worth a shot at least.

Back