VS-1824 help

luckicharm

i just got a VS-1824 studio workshop and i was wondering if anyone here has one or knows anything about them...i cant get it to even record one track. does anyone know where i can find like an instruction video or sumthing?

Yo Luckycharm! Hopefully, I can be of assistance. I recorded a fairly serious CD on a VS1824CD, which I still use as a remote recorder. I could write a book on how you can defeat the parts of the Roland that don't work so well, and use it for a mixer and editor with a hard drive. I think we can take this off line- talk about boring- fine editing on a VS studio. Anyway, check my profile and send me an email. It might even be worth a phone call. My first question- Does it have a CD-R drive in it? If not, you will need a *very* old-fashioned external SCSI CD-R drive. You can transfer tracks via S/PDIF to a computer, but only 2 at a time in real time. We had to transfer an entire CD to Pro Tools that way, and then manually synch the tracks. Anyway, give me a buzz. The 1824 is a very good machine, as long as you don't ask it to do what it can't do. Mainly, the preamps suck, and the A-D conversion is mediocre. If you send it 2 digital tracks at a time by S/PDIF, it bypasses those preamps and that A-D convertor. Some of the FX in the 1824 is pretty good, and it's a good mixer. Next question, if you know- do you have one FX board or two? The 1824 came with one, but you could add another, which doubles the number of effects you can use. There have been times when I needed the second board.

Duh- third question- Do you have the manuals? There are 3. An owner's guide, a user's manual, and a quick startup pamphlet. Once you actually get up and running, you'll find Roland's tech support people are pretty accessible, and usually know what the box can do, and what it can't. If you don't have the manuals, try to order them. Here's Roland tech support:
(323) 890-3741. Best of luck. I'm sure we'll be talking.-Richie

thank you for your reply! i found out why it wasnt recording...the my mic cable was no good! ha go figure. so i have it recording now, im picking up on it very quickly...ive started a few songs already that ill post here when i finish. thank you for the reply though!

Back