Vox tone lab

VesuviusJay

Poser Roaster
I just picked up a vox tone lab, and I must say I will never do line 6 again!! This is the best sounding direct box type equipment Ive tried thus far!! It is a must for direct recording!!

Oh wow! nice one, did you get the "SE"? Also does that tube make alot of diffrance? Ive heard these pedals are good, Nice buy, can we ask how much?

VesuviusJay said:
I just picked up a vox tone lab, and I must say I will never do line 6 again!! This is the best sounding direct box type equipment Ive tried thus far!! It is a must for direct recording!!

Got any samples you could post yet?

VesuviusJay said:

Vox seems to have just taken the reigns in the field of modeling.

I've not had experience with a Tone Lab, but I played a Vox VR30 amp back in December and ended up buying one. I was so impressed, that I started looking at the ADXXVT series partially based on my experience with the VR30 but also based on the reviews they've been getting on The Fender Forum. I also heard some tracks a friend of mine did with a AD15VT using the direct-out, and they sounded great.

I recently found a Vox AD60VT (which is pretty much the same as the AD60VTX except for the speaker, tweaked power section and closed-back cab) for $290.00 with the VC-4 footswitch, and I have to say...I'm damn impressed.

TravisinFlorida said:
I think you like effects like a fat man likes pie.
LOL! :D The tone does sound heavily processed but obviously it is the tone you were after for the song so in that regard it sounds good. When it comes to creating music and more specifically when it becomes a matter of tone I think the Outback Steakhouse mantra says it best, "No rules, just right." :)

I meant no offense by that comment. The only reason I mentioned the effects is because damn near every time I hear a sample of a POD, V-AMP, etc., it is smothered in effects. I'd like to hear people trying to create realistic guitar amp sounds, which is what these devices were created for.

Can it pull off a jtm45, a twin reverb, ac30, or a hiwatt? That's what I'd like to hear. How good is the tonelab at recreating tone? That tube was'nt intended for a nice flanger sound.

I do sound for a Beatles Trib band. We started using the Valvetronics as soon as we could get them into an AC30 cabinet or SuperBeatle head. We are also using the ToneLab SE as input to said amps.

The Vox processing produces both an extremely natural AC30 sound(for the early Beatles stuff), and the ToneLab produces the amps later used (fenders, HiWatts, Marshalls) for the later years (Revolution, Helter Skelter, etc).

That sample was just a quick throw together to give you a taste of the clarity of the tone, I know its processed, but the effects are excellent compared to line 6 or digitech, or other multieffects. Let me post another with some heavy guitar and see what you think.

VesuviusJay said:
That sample was just a quick throw together to give you a taste of the clarity of the tone, I know its processed, but the effects are excellent compared to line 6 or digitech, or other multieffects. Let me post another with some heavy guitar and see what you think.

Yeah Jay, throw on some nice rhythm tracks..

VesuviusJay said:

Can you pull any classic tones out of that box?

Atterion said:
Trav it's a Vox. It oozes classic tones. I got the SE, and love it.

Nicely put. In fact there's not a tone I havent been able to replicate nicely with this unit going through the stereo line ins on a CRATE POWER BLOCK LOL to stereo 4X12 celestion cab one side and open back 2X12 celestion cab on the other. The stereo effects are kick ass too for the price of this unit it has full surround! It fills the room with nice warm tone.

My band gigs all over the US. We have to rent amps. I can't always rent a Vox. I just pack the Tonelab in my luggage. I run the Tonelab in the effects loop of my rented amp. No matter what amp I rent, with the Tonelab, I can get my Vox sound. I changed the stock tube to a Groove Tube. It's a bit better.

Close But No Cigar

I have had a ToneLab SE for about a year and a bit and I am still struggling with it. To audition Modeling Units I tried all three for a week end, the ToneLab SE, PODXT and V-Amp Pro and the Vox sounded way better than the rest (IMHO). Since I have bought it I hardly ever use it, in fact it has never even seen a floor (I keep it on a movable cart in the studio). The thing is, every time I go to use it I never sounds as good as my miked (heavily modified) SF Princeton Reverb. No matter how much I tweaked the ToneLab I still found that modeling amps still sound too sterile for me. So I am going to get rid of it. Now don't get me wrong I still think it is the best of the best Sir! But it still does not pass the Pepsi challenge compared to the real thing.

New thread in five years time...
...I just picked up a Fender Twin, and I must say I will never do amp modelling again!! This is the best sounding equipment Ive tried thus far!! It is a must for recording!!

;)

Back