Vox recording

Jack Real

Hi

I'm recording the vox for my next project and I would like to have feedback on the recording. This was recorded with a microphone Sure KSM27 and a pre-amplifier TLAudio with a bit of compression at 4:1 ratio, fast attack, slow release and soft knee. The file is the first one "Dry vox".

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=662429

I will add compression and reverb later but I would like first to know how I can improve the recording. Any tip will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Real.

er..

i'd give you an opinion if i could hear it with the rest of the song..

sorry, i just cant judge without the rest of the mix.

Jack Real said:
Hi

I'm recording the vox for my next project and I would like to have feedback on the recording. This was recorded with a microphone Sure KSM27 and a pre-amplifier TLAudio with a bit of compression at 4:1 ratio, fast attack, slow release and soft knee. The file is the first one "Dry vox".

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=662429

I will add compression and reverb later but I would like first to know how I can improve the recording. Any tip will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Real.

The MP3 conversion (I think) sounds terrible. Sounds like a robot or monster in the background!
You should really put up some bed duvets as you can hear the room quite alot, unless you were going for a natural reverb more than adding a reverb effect. It doesnt sound like great room reverb though so Im guessing you didnt mean it?

Eck

ecktronic said:
The MP3 conversion (I think) sounds terrible. Sounds like a robot or monster in the background!
You should really put up some bed duvets as you can hear the room quite alot, unless you were going for a natural reverb more than adding a reverb effect. It doesnt sound like great room reverb though so Im guessing you didnt mean it?

Eck

Hi Ecktronic

I'm amaized but it's true the MP3 adds reverb ??? The sample on SoundClick is at 128 Kbps. I've put one on NowhereRadio at 320 Kbps and it has less added reverb.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2872&alid=-1

It's the first time I record in my new condo and the room has wooden floor compared to carpet in my old appartment so maybe I will need to add stuff to cut the reverberation in this room ?

On the MP3 side, is it normal that MP3 adds reverb to the music ? Maybe my MP3 converter is not good ?

TragicRemix, the vox will go over the "song 10" just below if this can help. For now, I only want to address the recording aspect of the vox.

/Jack Real.

Yeah Id say its the convertor thats not good.
128k should sound fine.
Im sure there are plenty out their.
I use Wavelabs inbuilt one that uses Lame encoding. Thats a good one.
Also check your convertor for a quality setting, as in Wavelab you can choose what quality you want the MP3 to be aswell as what bitrate.I go for best quality setting of course. :)

I am a little surporised that the MP3 conversion has added a reverb effect, but also not that surprised as MP3s conversion can do some strange wacky stuff!

Eck

Jack Real said:
It's the first time I record in my new condo and the room has wooden floor compared to carpet in my old appartment so maybe I will need to add stuff to cut the reverberation in this room ?

On the MP3 side, is it normal that MP3 adds reverb to the music ? Maybe my MP3 converter is not good ?
/Jack Real.

Yeah, you should get some carpet down over that wooden floor for definite.

No MP3 conversion shouldnt add reverb. It could exagerate problems though.
The 320k vocal sounds a hell of alot better! Can still hear alot of room reverb.

Eck

Hi

Is there someone using this Reflexion Filter from sE ?

http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

I'm thinking about buying one, it's around 299$.

Yesterday, I recorded my voice while my hands were protecting the sides of the mic and it really helped reduce the reflexions from the room. I'm wondring if I'm changing the frenquency response of the mic when I'm doing that though.

Thanks,

Jack Real.

Jack Real said:
Yesterday, I recorded my voice while my hands were protecting the sides of the mic and it really helped reduce the reflexions from the room. I'm wondring if I'm changing the frenquency response of the mic when I'm doing that though.

Thanks,

Jack Real.
Yeah it probably will. But dont worry about that. Just listen to the recording compared to your older recording and see what one you prefer. :)

Eck

Jack Real said:
Hi

Thanks,

Jack Real.

I've used one several times for recording spoken word/voice over stuff (where you need to eliminate room reflections as much as possible. I found it remarkably effective...not quite as good as a fully acoustically treated voice booth but darn good.

Bob

Jack Real said:
Hi

Thanks,

Jack Real.

A friend of mine uses it, good bang for the buck according to him.

Hmmmmm - I listened to the soundclick version, and talk about screwy MP3 conversion!!! It made you sound French! :D

Home Vocal Prep

A few tips about recording vocals at home that may not be directly related to the current poster's problem...

When recording a vocal in a less than ideal room (like a bedroom or like my tracking room in my studio in my house) the main problem I found is not from the side walls but from above... ymmv. The biggest problem is the sound bouncing off of low 8' ceilings and mixing into the mic with the direct sound... it sounds pretty damn bad. Phasey, thin home vocals can often be attributed directly to this.

If you think about it the closest hard surface in most small rooms in people's houses when trying to get away from hard surfaces when recording, is usually the ceiling... unless you're really, really short. :D That's the problem you need to deal with for better vox at home, unless your home has a room with a 20 ft. ceiling... then sing in there instead.

Note: In a small bedroom sized room with close micing (3 inches?) the sound from the walls (unless you're really close to a wall or in a closet) should be a virtual non-factor if you gain stage the chain correctly. Usually even a small bedroom is big enough for decent vox, especially if you put some space (or pillows or whatever) behind you and point the mic directly towards a corner of the room.

The other point is something to remember when tracking in smaller square/rectangular rooms in your home like bedrooms, angle straight at a corner, it helps sound bounce more around you (and the mic) and diffuse more than directly back at you. Standing in the center of a b(e)ad room pointed towards a corner is generally the best position. It can make a audible difference in what the mc picks up.

As far as low ceilings go, put something absorbent on the ceiling over or between you and the mic, carpet or something... or sing sitting down... which helps ... but may not allow your best vocal performance. Just rig something up.

Take 3-4 mic stands and rig up a cover with a heavy blanket over the top of the mic... (about halfway between the top of the mic and the ceiling if possible) with the mic back inside the cover about 6-12-18 inches or so. Or place some hooks (like the kind chicks hang flower pots with) so that when you track vocals you can just hook an old drooping blanket (with holes in the corners of it) on the ceiling, and sing directly under the drooping part.

With that said - the more vocal compression the worse the S/R (signal to room :D) ratio is. Back off a bit.

-

Last edited:
Jack Real I have another mic said:
The 535 is one of the best live condensors out there, especially in the sub-Neumann price range. I did a session with a male vocalist where I prefered it over my usual AT4040. It's an excellant mic, definitly give it a try.

prestomation said:
The 535 is one of the best live condensors out there, especially in the sub-Neumann price range. I did a session with a male vocalist where I prefered it over my usual AT4040. It's an excellant mic, definitly give it a try.

Hi prestomation

Thanks for the information. I will try it again tonight since my set-up and gear have changed a lot since I last recorded vocals with that mic.

Thanks,

Jack Real.

Back