Vox Amps!

I've got the 50 watt 12" version. I like it pretty well. I don't record with it much, I just bought it for something easy to lug around with me. Some of the excitement I had over it's sound wore off after I lived with it for a while, but I still think it sounds pretty damn good for what it is.
I definitely liked it the best of the stuff in that price range, plus it's pretty versatile.

Yeah the thing that catches my eye is the tube in it. Any technical issues with it? Is there any other that can compete for recording under $400?

I own the 50 watt version as well. Great amp. I use it as a professional lead guitarist in a band for live gigs and rehearsing, and I also use it in my studio as a recording engineer. It records great via direct out but to get the tube in the mix you've gotta take the speaker output or better yet mic it up. It's picky about which mic to use if you record it but as a player's amp it really does deliver. The 70's marshall, vox 30 and fender twin settings are my favorites as a guitarist but there are lots of other useful settings for other styles, one of which works well with my acoustic's piezo output. The bassman is just like a real vintage bassman, good for rhythm guitar, bad for bass LoL. Very authentic.

I also like the digital delay in it, I put it on a really light amount of single return very very short delay for all of my lead work, it's part of my tone when on the marshall 70's setting, very angus young-like (he often had a similar delay setting for his old lead work). I also like the vox 30 sound for leads very much (including with my strat), marshall sound is good for leads and rhythm with my LP.

Just an example of how versatile the amp is. By the way, I have woned

I think where this amp lets you down is in physical build quality, just not the absolute best built amp there is, but for the price and amazing sound and features it blows away line 6 and all of the other modelling amps out there (behringer??? FENDER???)

Cheers,
Don

Compared to the AC series these are crap. They record like crap and sound like crap. I thought they'd be pretty cool too and then I got to actually hear one and man was I disappointed. OK that was a bit harsh, they don't sound terrible but they don't sound like a tube amp, and I'm pretty sure the tube in that thing is shit as far as replicating a true tube sound. I'm recording a band tonight and we'll be using an AC30. I'll post clips so you can have a listen. If you san swing a few hundred more bux and really like that vox sound then check out that single 12" 15watt ac15. I'm actually in love with Vox right now, after repairing my Mesa all it does is sit on the shelf. Sorry to ramble on.

Thanks for your replies!

JonnyC:
AC series is quite a price jump! Sound clips would be fantastic if you can. Can you compare the how would you compare the AC series to a rectifier?

I may just replace my roland head with an AC30 if its that good. My style of music is very versatile but one thing I've always wanted and never got was a crunchy mid-range. I heard it in the the VT series... So the AC series delivers better?

I owned a Vox AD120VT. It was not bad to gig with. I could never record with it because it was too noisy. I've heard the same thing from other musicians on this model. I ended up selling it. If I purchase another Vox amp it will be an AC30.

Anomaly Design said:
Thanks for your replies!

JonnyC:
AC series is quite a price jump! Sound clips would be fantastic if you can. Can you compare the how would you compare the AC series to a rectifier?

I may just replace my roland head with an AC30 if its that good. My style of music is very versatile but one thing I've always wanted and never got was a crunchy mid-range. I heard it in the the VT series... So the AC series delivers better?

When I bought the AC30 I fully expected to only use it on bluesy, or light rock(U2) type stuff. But I let a band I record borrow it and while we were dialing in the settings the thing came alive and started growling like one of Satan's minions. My eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. So then a couple nights later I had a buddy come over and just lay down a few riffs with a drum and bass line and he made it do everything from a heavy crunch to a full blown lead tone. The clean was great too. As far as Mesa vs. Vox, I like the rectifier sound from Mesa and it's overdrive is great too but man this Vox just does a different distorted sound that I can't get over. Not so "bees in the can" sounding, it has a really nice fat distortion sound. I'll admit I was a huge skeptic until I really got to put this amp thru the paces.

jonnyc said:
Compared to the AC series these are crap. They record like crap and sound like crap. I thought they'd be pretty cool too and then I got to actually hear one and man was I disappointed. OK that was a bit harsh, they don't sound terrible but they don't sound like a tube amp, and I'm pretty sure the tube in that thing is shit as far as replicating a true tube sound. I'm recording a band tonight and we'll be using an AC30. I'll post clips so you can have a listen. If you san swing a few hundred more bux and really like that vox sound then check out that single 12" 15watt ac15. I'm actually in love with Vox right now, after repairing my Mesa all it does is sit on the shelf. Sorry to ramble on.

Hey now.... :D Don't forget, that AC30CC you have isn't a real AC30 either. ;)

An 15 watt AC series wouldn't cost that much more would it?

The valvetronix are OK - but for beginners/improvers really (IMO).
If that's what you are - then go for it. If you're looking for something a little more serious, then you need to spend a little more and get a cheap Fender valve job or a Vox AC.

Codmate said:
An 15 watt AC series wouldn't cost that much more would it?

The valvetronix are OK - but for beginners/improvers really (IMO).
If that's what you are - then go for it. If you're looking for something a little more serious, then you need to spend a little more and get a cheap Fender valve job or a Vox AC.

Its twice the price. I definitely need to try out the AC, thanks alot people.

I had the 10" 30 watt and upped to the 50 watt 12" version. I like it, but I find that for modeling, my pod is just as and more usable in the studio. I have found some very good sounds in it, and some very wasted ones.

Pete

Anomaly Design said:
Yeah the thing that catches my eye is the tube in it. Any technical issues with it? Is there any other that can compete for recording under $400?

Marshall AVT maybe...

jonnyc said:
Ick, they don't record so well. Had more luck with an MG and I've owned both.

Hmm...find that a bit odd...dont like MGs though for the money ya cant really complain.

Back