Vox AD30VT, or Pod 2.0

TunaTheFish

I am stuck between choosing either the
Vox AD30T
Or buying a
Line 6 Pod 2.0

If i bought the VOX there would be no real need for an effects pedal as the amp already has effects in it, am i right in thinking that? I played on the VOX today and i really like it and thought it played well, but i have never tried a Pod 2.0.
Does anyone out there have either a VOX amp or a Pod 2.0, if so which one would you reccomend?
thanks for any help.

I just bought a VOX AD50VT about a month ago and I love it. Lots of versatility, so many tones you can get out of it, and it sounds great. Never tried the pod 2.0 so I can't say much about it, but the vox is pretty gnarly, I would definitley recomend it.

TunaTheFish said:
I am stuck between choosing either the
Vox AD30T
Or buying a
Line 6 Pod 2.0

If i bought the VOX there would be no real need for an effects pedal as the amp already has effects in it, am i right in thinking that? I played on the VOX today and i really like it and thought it played well, but i have never tried a Pod 2.0.
Does anyone out there have either a VOX amp or a Pod 2.0, if so which one would you reccomend?
thanks for any help.

Vox is a better live amp, but I was never really satisfied with recording. I usually just mic'd it, and it always lacked an open top end. Typical of digital. I've never played a pod 2.0, BUT they have TONNES of amp models and effects models available on their website. If just for recording, I would go with the pod 2.0.

OR pick up a Johnson J-station for about $70.00. Lots of good tones/effects. Maybe you could get this, and an AD15VT for the same price as an AD30VT.

I bought a J-Station several years ago, and I've been quite happy with it. I usually use it to record scratch tracks during songwrinting. But, sometimes the sounds just work and I never go back and re-do them.

Cheers,
Zach

Can't vouch for the POD, but I've got an AD30VT and it is an amazing amp, sounds awesome and the effects are top-notch and very tweakable. It's not overly loud, but if you played live and mic'ed it you'd be happy I think.

First piece of guitar equipment I ever bought was the POD 2.0. I liked it at the time... but now that I've heard and used "real" amps it's kind of disappointing. I'm not so much into amp modeling now, at least not digital modeling.

I used to gig with a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier. I still use it to record. But I stopped gigging with it because of the size, the problems with power when playing with a tube amp live, and the fear that it would be stolen or break. Now for live stuff I use a Behringer GMX212. I'd have gotten the 2x10 version, because I love the sound of 10's for guitar, but it wasn't loud enough. That particular line of Behringer modeling amps are different because they don't use digital equipment to model the amps. Now my amp set up is much smaller, cheaper, I don't have the power concerns, and nobody in the audience can tell the difference anyways.

The problem I always had with my POD is I couldn't get a good lead and rhythm sound. I could manage a decent sound for chords, but if I played single notes it would sound like ass. Same thing if I got a decent sound for single notes, it would sound terrible when I went to play chords. I just don't think the technology is there yet. I've done a little bit of recording with a POD 2.0, and putting a tube pre-amp afterwards can help a little bit, but it still will sound a little funny.

Maybe try spending the money you would have spent on a processor on a cheap tube amp like the new Epiphone. There are two different Epiphone tube amps available, the Galaxie and the Valve Junior, for $129 and $119, respectively. Then, you can change your "modeling amp" tone by using different drive and distortion pedals. But I think you'd have a much more realistic sound than any modeling pre-amp could give you. On top of that, "speaker simulation" on these POD and the like emulators, is just that, and sounds nothing like the real thing. A major part of the tone you get from guitar comes from speaker distortion, which these boxes can't imitate.

Good luck,
-MD

Had a POD... sold it.

Had a Marshall amp... sold it.

Bought a Vox AD50VT... LOVE IT!!! :)

Forget those cheap mini tube amps from Epiphone, unless you actually like listening to buzzing noises from an amplifier.

OK i think i am going for a vix as i need a new amp anyways. but does it act as a preamp also, i mean could i connect it straight into my sound card or would i need to buy a seperate pre amp, because i know the Pod actrs as a pre amp

Even if you are able to take the amp and go direct into the computer, you won't want to, because it won't sound quite right. Instead, put a microphone in front of the amp and record that. I haven't heard the Vox, but I was happy with my Epiphone Galaxie 10 until I tried playing with it live, pushed it too loud, and it croaked. Musician's Friend let me return it though.

-MD

Yes, the vox is a very good amp, also very good for recording! I've had some stellar results with it, can't wait to get my Senn e606 to record it with.
I also use the Vox live and it's a great live amp too. I also have the 30 Watt model. It has all the power I'd ever want.

Stan.

Back