Vote here for the best mixed song ever!

revaudio

Hi everyone

I'm teaching a college music technology class - really an intro to computer based recording. I'm looking for some opinions on "the best mixed songs ever" to use as examples in my first lesson on developing a good mix.

I have my own opinions that range from the Beatles, to Norah Jones to Radiohead. Any suggestions out there? I would like to show a little variety of what is "good" and not all be the "warm and silky" sound our ears gravitate towards. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

The first song on Mike Jacko's "Off Da Wall" LP, can't remember the name but cot damn does that thing sound INCREDIBLE. Anything on that LP is great but the first song just stood out to me. YMMV

Last edited:
Sonically, one of my favorite tracks is "Scarecrow People" by XTC from the Oranges and Lemons album.

MadAudio said:
Sonically, one of my favorite tracks is "Scarecrow People" by XTC from the Oranges and Lemons album.
Seriously.... I'm listening to that album right now as a matter of fact! I also like the sound/production of the tracks from English Settlement -- not to mention Black Sea.......!

Hey, cool, a little synchronicity! (No, wait, that was The Police :rolleyes: )

Black Sea is probably my favorite, but ES has some great tracks on it.
And Todd Rundgren's production work on Skylarking ain't too shabby, either!

[/thread hijack]

Last edited:
Blue Bear Sound said:
Steely Dan's "Babylon Sisters" has amazing air and ambience.... also anything off AJA.....

Al is AMAZING! As my ear has gotten better, a lot of stuff I listen too doesn't sound as good, but Aja just sounds better and better.

Check out the CD "Puzzle" by Dada.

The entire CD is a clinic on great mixing, stellar guitar playing, and the best 2-part harmony since Lennon and McCartney.

I'm very serious... check it out.

the song Weekender by Flowered Up. It's a 13 minute EPIC! best mixed song I ever heard. Another one off the top of my head but not quite as up there would be Down By The Sea by Men At Work

Check out Dire Straits "You and Your Friend" from On Every Street. The slide dobro (OK, it's really a National) absolutely jumps out of the speakers, & you hear the slide gliding across each string winding. Amazing stuff.

"amen" to those who already mentioned "Aja" Also check out SD's "Dr. Wu" for a sax solo that sounds like you're in the same room as the sax player.

Another totally redundant vote for Babylon Sister.

There's something about the gloss in the production of Texas albums - particularly The Hush - that gets me every time I listen to it. Dont' know why - it just does.

ummm...

Tired of Sex by Weezer
Ruiner by Nine Inch Nails
Criminal World by David Bowie
Shimmer Like A Girl by Veruca Salt
Burning In Love by Honeymoon Suite
Silent Running by Mike & The Mechanics
Send Me An Angel by Zeromancer

I remember reading a Reznor interview where he was asked if there were any difficulties involving the recording of "Downward Spiral". He said Ruiner was the one song that he just couldn't get right no matter what he tried. I like the sound of that one too. One man's crap is another man's...whatever...

Back