volume to tape or mixdown???

Spider

hi all , rather simple question, ive just never asked the question .. Is it best to try and get a loud take on tape?? I mean should u (obviously to an extent) try and record as hot a signal as you can for the sake that u have that volume there but it can be turned down?? i usually aim for 0db when recording , i dont want it to clip but i also want all the volume i can get at the recording stage ... is this the way it should be done , or is it more a case of whatevers working?? I always wondered if i could go that little bit more ...

[Edited by Spider on 09-28-2000 at 12:16]

if you're recording to 0dB, use a compressor so you can pack as much signal onto tape without clipping. watch out for distortion though, even with the compressor.what are you recording to? what tape system?

im using the ISIS setup... i usually use the direct outs on the desk and send it straight to the harddrive. Monitoring the output of the soundcard , is that a very accurate way to monitor what your recording ..??I realise its a good way but what im refering to is whether what u hear at the output is exactly the signal u sent into the pute?? does and sound loss occur whilst moving through the pc?

Back