Volume question.

I record everything as hot as I can possibly tolerate it without clipping and without compression if possible. Im a hard convert to digital, still riding the fence if you will with the MD8..analog mixing, digital storage and PC editing. I typically was trained with analog consoles and 1" 16 track setups. Its been about a year since delving into digital, Im still experimenting alot and really never thought about using a different approach other than how I tracked previously. The reason I used to track was to make sure I had the most signal I could get, bury the noise of the amps, and hope a cheap fader doesnt kill the track by an increase in volume, increasing the noise. With high end equip through and through, the noise is neglible, but Im at home now doing this.

The older I get, the more I forget that I forget. Soon Ill be a complete idiot!

Peace,
Dennis

Atomictoyz:

The older I get, the more I forget that I forget. Soon Ill be a complete idiot!

Peace,
Dennis
----------------------------

That's funny, Atomic. Just before that happens be sure to change your handle to atomicidiot. :)

That is some great info, guys. I've one question.
I've done some searches but didn't find the answer. I've looked in my Sonar/Roland manuals and didn't find it.
I even looked in the recording parlances I've collected.
Now, I just have to ask.

What is DSP?

DSP = Digital Signal Processing

I was going to make another point about what wes480 was commenting about the "destructive" DSP per se. How the sound quality DEGRADES as DSP is applied.

Yes, it does degrade, but not quite in predictable ways when compared to analog devices. I will not go into specifics in the comparison, I will just share a few thoughts about DSP and bit depth.

When you sample audio on a A/D converter, the incoming voltage to the A/D COULD be varying very quickly, and by quite a bit. It usually is with "music". The sounds instruments make are made of of several frequencies combined, and that is what the "timbre" is. "timbre" give us the distinct tone of the instrument. So, a musical "note" is actually a very complex wave form. Not anything like a square wave which would look something like:

__
_l l__ "really bad eh"? :)

you see a "flat top" to the amplitude of the frequency. A "pure tone" (meaning a tone that does not contain any other frequencies with it) would look something like that, or a very distorted tone.

But a complex musical "note" would look more like:

www (sort of)

The volume would go more up and down because the combined frequencies are doing all sorts of wonderful things to the audio, and at varying amplitudes!!!

So, in a complex musical note, certain frequencies would die off faster than others, others would sustain longer than others, etc....

So, this is why audio goes up and down in volume quite a bit! It really does, unless you DISTORT the input to something, which would sort of cut off the peaks of the audio. This cutting off of the peaks means that our ear cannot really get a good handle on the HIGHER FREQUENCIES because the never fully develope to a peak. So the high frequencies tend to sound more vague, sometimes described a "smoothed out".

Be patient here guys, this will make a lot of sense in a while...:D

Now, our audio is going up and down, up and down, up and down in voltage SMOOTHLY, CONTINUOUSLY. It looks sort of like:

~~~~~~~~~ (up and down being volume, left to right being frequency...get it?)

BUT, the A/D converter can only store so many values!!! Oh no!!!

What happens if when the converter "samples" (the sampling rate....) that the current incoming voltage falls between two certain points that the converter can store a value? Say the converter can store 6 and 8. But the incoming voltage is 7! Yikes. What to do!!! Digital doesn't like to think!!! It wants to be told what to do!!!

The voltage is rounded up or down (from what I understand, usually up) to fit the next available storage value. This shift in voltage causes distortion to the audio, and is referred to as quantinization errors. It is mostly appearent in low volume audio, and to tell you the truth, I don't remember why, or understand log scales and the A/D circuit design well enough to explain why, but I guess it has to do with there being less bits available to store the incoming voltage values. Bummer....:( So, the lower the incoming volume gets, the less bits that are available to represent it!!! So, the quantinization errors are WORSE on incoming low voltage audio than high voltage audio (high voltage being a relative term ONLY to voltages that are lower than it...we are talking milliamps here guys! :))

Okay, so the incoming audio is distorted somewhat when it is stored. So we want to keep as much of our audio above the point where we really start getting bad quantinization errors.

The theory behind 24 bit audio is that those quantinization errors are moved MUCH lower than what out hears can hear. Now this really doesn't mean much to us yet. 16 bit audio, when done well, with a good circuit design, has proved to work pretty good for most POP music. Orchestral recordings tend to sound "good enough" if the noise floor of the preamps, mics, etc. are low enough and not contributing their own nasty distortion. But sometimes, the RIGHT kind of continuous noise can help hide these quantinization errors because the noise is a constant going to the converters, so a constant voltage is applied, the blending of this noise and the music content BELOW it keep voltages stable, so bits aren't being toggled on and off, etc....blah blah blah...Dither is just noise applied and does this. Some recordings don't REQUIRE dither because they are so noisy that you can't hear the quantinization errors anyway.

I regress.

So, here we have our audio stored in fixed voltages in the digital domain. It plays back cleanly enough. Certainly no worse than it was stored IF we don't do anything to it. The fixed values that can be stored are stored. The audio is "perfectly" stored, and will not degrade because it is played back (unlike analog tape which "degrades" EVERY time you play it...you just don't hear it until the next time you play it...but actually it takes SEVERAL passes of tape before you really hear a bad difference...I regress!!!damnit!).

So we haven't done anything to the audio in digital and it sounds like it should. Cool!

When you apply a fader move though, problems start!!! The voltages have to be "recalculated" because of the fader move. If you turn the audio down .1 dB, ALL of the audio must now be turned down .1dB. Yikes!!! Now all of our fixed stored voltages are messed up damnit!!! So, all those voltages that fall between two storable values must now be rounded up again! MORE DISTORTION FROM QUANTINIZATION ERRORS!!! YIKES!!! So much for our "perfectly" stored audio now eh? :)

You can see how many "steps" of DSP can start really making a mess of things. You turn down the volume on the fader a bit, Quan (quantinization...that is too long to write, so I will say Quan from here on out...whew! thanks for understanding....:)) errors there! You apply an EQ to the sound, yup, more Quan errors. You want to compress it? Ok, but yet even MORE Quan errors!!! On and on it goes. Where it stops everybody knows! (heh...I am funny right now...) It stops ONLY when you stop warping the audio with DSP! Oh yeah, that audio that you fader moved, eq'ed, and compressed, it is contributing to the Master Buss, which will have to calculate ALL of the tracks combined into some kind of voltage. Oops, another Quan error there! Oh, you want a compressor over the whole stereo buss now? Dang, yet ANOTHER Quan error. On and on...it keeps on crying....

Makes me wanna cry how many times DISTORTION was introduced to the audio from the time I started mixing with DSP, until I burn a master disk! Digital is perfect? LOL....yeah right!!! Far fucking from it!!! All that distortion introduced add's up to a sound that is quite a bit harsher and with far less depth than the original sound. The stereo spread seems to shrink up (more when the DSP is really having to honk!). The highs start getting crackly. Yucky audio!!! Thank you DSP!

Okay, now, it is NOT as bad as I made it out here really. A lot of that hash is in the lower bits. Remember, Quan errors seem to effect low level audio far worse than high level audio.

24 bit theoretically gives us the ability to move the Quan errors down to a level where our ears cannot hear it. Yeah? you say? Cool! If the software is written well, floating point DSP, or very high internal bit depths can used so that we can save Quan errors until later. Coolness, maybe. Did the software authors WRITE the code to work well? All those floating point calculations take a BIG toll on your processing power, and to keep within the Windows 32 Bit Floating Point DSP scheme, they would have to spend more CPU cycles to increase this internal bit depth of the software, or just say "screw it, these morons won't hear the difference! They are using Delta 1010 cards!!!!" (okay, they probably say SoundBlaster Lives..just thougt I would take a poke at you Delta Losers...errrrrr, I mean Users....:D). So, I believe that in a lot of cases, rather than writing out GOOD code, that will deal with all these issues of recalculating the audio adequately within a 32 bit float environment, and STILL not tax your processor too much with EXTRA calculations to have BETTER code and/or deeper internal bit depth, they probably just go ahead and allow "truncating" to happen, or in possibly a better scenario, "dithering" to be applied. I suspect truncating because dithering is yet another hit on the CPU, which is already taxed quite hard by all this other processing!

Are you seeing the story now? Your Wintel PC has some lame ass slowmo processor that has to do all the Windows task, AND run the software!!! Sure, you could just say "Hey, just apply great processing to the audio at any expense, and I will happily wait for it to process if it is going to be better!". But what about REAL TIME MONITORING of the DSP you apply? If you start taxing your CPU too hard, your audio WON'T play. Sooooo, I suspect that software writers try to write stuff that isn't too bad on the CPU. Ooooopppppsssss!!! A compromise was made! Crap, the DSP is as good as it could be by a long shot! Damnit!!!

So, there is the problem with DSP. Unless you have dedicated processing to allow for more powerful code to be written, well, more powerful code WON'T be written. That is that, and that is what you have to deal with on a Wintel recording solution.

The reason why something like ProTools usually sounds better is that the processors in their box that does the DSP (yup, a real protools system DOESN'T use the computers processor do to anything but send commands to the DSP box that comes with ProTools that DOES the DSP) is DEDICATED to the task! No OS functions to perform. No hard drive saying "hey, I need to report my thermal calibration here so I can keep going...excuse me...". Nope, you have a powerful processor JUST for processing the audio. Cooooooooooooool! When designing a system like this, you can say ONLY a certain amount of processing can be ran per processor! Coooooooooooool. The processor can handle more powerful code without the worry that you will expect it to run more than it can handle. That is what those DSP Farm Cards are all about. THEY supply the dedicated processing power!!! Each has it's own processor. It is a dedicated processor capable of powerful code! Coolio!

So, if HARDWARE could handle MORE POWERFUL CODE, then more powerful code could be written! :) But, hardware comes at a price! AND...software takes a long time to write. So, STANDARDS have to be kept for something like this to work. Of course a software company can write code that requires the processor to use two cycle to process what another software would do with one cycle tick. But now we get into performance issues! The software company doesn't want you to NOT use their processor because it taxes your system right? Hell no. That is suicide. People buy it to use it! So, instead of lossing out that way, they make the code less powerful! Ever noticed how a Waves plug in taxes your CPU sometimes 3 or 4 times as much as a native plugin to an mixing application? Notice how it sounds better? But, you can't expect your little ol' 900MHz processor to handle 32 of those high powered plugin's at once can you? Along WITH editing you did on the track, automation, effects, etc etc etc.....So, Waves can only go so far in their processing. Their latest version is as far as they go until the totally rewrite the software to use more cycle ticks. They have to wait until processing speeds for the AVERAGE user are high enough for them to go ahead and use more powerful code to do their thing. So indeed, DSP get's better all the time (new versions of it at least...).

But, I am STILL very leary that you can get adequate DSP that starts rivalling even decent analog processing.

The nice thing about analog is you usually are only dealing with the gears self noise and the buss summing issues. In digital, well, no self noise, but you still have buss simming issues (combining volumes together...) as well as Quan errors for EVERY single thing you do with DSP. To my ears, these Quan errors, along with inadequate code being written, equals audio that is just not all that great. It sounds like it has a veil over it. An upfrontness to the sound is missing. The more DSP applied, or the higher the track count, the worse it it! In analog, self noise is about only bad issue about high track counts, and good circuit designs can go a LONG ways towards eliminating self noise (that is why killer sounding analog console can set you back half a million dollars! they are freakin' expensive to build because the circuit designs call for components that are expensive!!! but this circuit design is LOW NOISE, and has the benefits of a very large operating range, and doesn't impart bad sounding artifacts to the sound passing through it....etc etc etc....).

So, there is the story as I see it. I am very open to "informed" contridictions. Somebody like sjoko2 could smoke my fanny on how all this actually works, but he tends not to get too deep into it here. Hopefully he will at least come along in this thread and say "Ed shut up, you don't know squat". Or "That's more or less the way it is folks" and possibly offer a few clarifications. I know I would like some clarifications about some of this stuff, but try getting ANY DSP manufacture to talk about it!!! LOL...fuck no they won't, because I suspect they don't want you to know how bad it really is, the cheap stuff (what most of us use...) and the good stuff (what the high dollar digital stuff uses).

Eddie

Ed,

I know this has surfaced through this thread but how much of an issue is this degradation in.....

1; a totally PC based recording setup

2; a digital console/hard drive based setup

3; an analogue console/hard drive based setup

In other words, is more relevant to one system over another.

Chris :cool:

PS. I'm hangin for a lotto win to buy that Quad2 off you.:)

heavy stuff ed....

all makes a lot of sense though. (still wondering about the Meridian DSP processors...i have heard big dollar digital studios are using them).

I have a few more big questions at this point ;)

1.) Where do you draw the line in digital/analog. Say you have a 1,000 dollar Mackie Mixer....vs. a Delta 1010 system - are you going to be better off mixing in analog with something like that Mackie? (in terms of the final audio quality). Or is cheap digital better than cheap analog? That would be my assumption. I mean, no one is going to argue that a 500,000 dollar analog console can be outdone by a 1010

2.) Say you had the 500,000 dollar board...are you suggesting that you put everything on tape, and mix it like that? Or just have it running through the Analog console? It seems like just running your digital system into the analog gear, and tweaking/mixing it (at least levels) through that...and then outputting it back to digital would be the most lossless way. I hate the thought of putting pristine digital records onto tape - I don't mind running through a half a million dollar mixer though.

3.) So analog effects are intrisically better as well? Stuff like reverb and compression? Seems like digital would be perfect for that...since it is just math - and obviously there are a lot of good rackmount effect products that are digital. Does that just go back to the "more processing power needed" thing?

I guess the main thing I have taken from this thread so far is being more consiouss of recording things at the level they are intended to be mixed at. Unfortunately...that is impossible....you'll have to make a sacrifice somewhere....either in your mix quality...or in using the DSPs. Of course, that isn't realistic right now...becuase I have to use reverbs/compressors and such. Honestly I don't see how a digital reverb (or other effects) are going to degrade the sound....any more than your A/D did. Seems like since it is just a mathmatical process....a digital effect would sound better than running it out to analog, and doing an analog effect on the *same digital source wave*.

But, its good knowledge to have. Oh...if it does turn out that volume adjustments cause more distortion than reverbs/compressors....

Back to the Mackie mixer....what if you recorded digitally, and then decided where you needed all of your levels to be, ran out to the Mackie, adjusted all of the levels...and then ran back into digital. So, you'd end up with the digital tracks at the right level, with no DSP adjustments. Hell, I guess if you had an RNC and a reverb unit...and a sophisticated EQ as well...you could basically do your whole mic with no DSP (assuming you were working on something simple..like rock music). But - would you be better off just running it totally digital with your Aardvark Q10 or Delta 1010...in my ignorant opinion...you would be.

I'd say I wouldn't mess with analog stuff until you got into the big price ranges. And....for the most part for that price..you could build a digital system with top of the line DSP processors (assuming you could get it to all work together...and use anything *other* than protools..heh) that would work out better for you.

I now understand why ProTools is so used even more than I used to - I never didn't like it...always said I'd own it if I had the money. But...if it's DSP stuff is *that* much better...then, it is THAT much better. Oh, last thought - does that mean that the TDM version of Waves (to use your example) has higher quality algorithms than the native version?

oh - and just a glisten of "hope" for anyone is reading this thinking "man...i should just give up recording" - hehe.

I burned some mp3s (note, not even the real wave recordings) that "macle" did (he posted them in the mp3 mixing clinic...some of the best I have heard from here).

Went and played them monday night at my roommates parents showroom - they do high end home theater.

Played the burned disc through an $80,00 playback system all Meridian components. Meridian is *the* leading digital processing/playback company for stereo/home theater. Many regard the DSP8000 speakers to be the ultimate CD listening setup. Of course, a lot of audiophiles don't like their stuff...becuase it is so focused on digital...and, I am not saying that a 200,000 system by california audio labs or wilson doesn't sound amazing too. Meridian is somewhat regarded as a budget system. It is a $45,000 pair of speakers (DSP8000's), a $20,000 processor, a $10,000 DVD/CD player, hooked up with $7,000 worth of transparent audio cables.

Macles stuff sounded great on it...and I was enjoying it so much that I listened to all of the tracks through...

Keeping in mind that that stuff was made in his bedroom...on basically homerecer equipment (all digital)...and that what I was listening to were 128 or 160 mp3s...I think that's all the reason in the world to keep recording and be proud of our results.

If *that* sounds great on an 80,000 dollar system, I'm sure his real CD is going to sound at least twice as good. At the end of the day...thats what it's all about. Not what console you used, or what DSPs you used.

Thanks for all of the info Ed - learning *a lot*

( www.meridian-audio.com - if anyone is curious)

http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_8kmus2.htm

thing of beauty ;)

-Wes

btw Ed

since you mentioned about 24 bit recording etc...

I am not sure if I ever heard your opinion on this...

do you feel that 24/44.1 is the optimal bit depth/sample rate for digital right now?

Or are you in favor of higher sampeling rates? (regardless of dithering and such)

Dithering has only a part to play with sample rate. Sample rate conversion is another story. If the sample rate converter is good, some benefits could be gained from higher sample rates being used for source sounds.

You *almost* got this, but are still assuming that digital "should" be perfect I suspect. Whipe that from your mind and it will be easier to understand. Forget all the BS manufactures have spoon fed you about digital being PERFECT. It isn't. But things are improving.

Re-read what I have already posted. You understand some of it but are missing the point in context to the original post. Initially, it was asked whether you should track stuff at about the volume you wanted or should you track as hot as possible and adjust the volume at mix.

You can take this question further. You could ask:

Should I get the type of sound while tracking that I will want or eq it at mix?

Should I get the level of compression I want while tracking or do that at mix?

You get what I am saying? They are ALL functions that could be done either way. I only tried to illustrate what you are doing to the audio if you wait until mix to do everything. The more DSP you do to a bunch of tracks, the more you subject your audio to the problems I have already described!

So you have to asked youself; Should I track stuff as closely to what I want to hear, including relative levels, or subject myself to crappy DSP?

Not such an easy question to answer.

Even in analog, more specifically, CHEAP analog, has problems with ANY processing done at mix. Change the gain on a crappy fader, introduce noise. Apply a not so great compressor over the instrument, introduce sonic artifacts and possibly compression that is not all that smooth, OR, doesn't accomplish what you NEED it to accomplish. Apply an eq tweak with a crappy eq, introduce phase shift at certain frequencies. All of THESE are very real problems, and in some cases, digital has an upper hand.

The problem is simply this. The more processing you do at mix, the farther away from the original sound you get. Important sonic problems are created from processing, and they sometimes outweight the benefits of it. You have to decide now whether you want to spend the time to track sounds that work well UNPROCESSED, or subject your audio to the problems of bad processing.

Obviously, the better the processors are, the less you need to worry about bad sonic artifacts created from using them eh? When the signal path is:

The mic you selected.
High quality cable (better than store bought Horizon)
Class A preamp
More high quality cable (better than Hosa)
Studer 2" tape machine with dolbySR noise reduction, or maybe the deck running at 30ips a second (two different sounds here...)
More high quality cable
Top quality TT patchbay
More high quality cable
Racks full of class A processors w/ more high quality cable
Killer mixing console
More high quality cable
Studio 1/2" tape machine with dolby SR
ClassA power amp
Killer monitors
Tuned room

Or the signal path is:

Same mic for everything.
Horizon cable
Crappy preamp
Hosa cable
Soundblaster-Delta card
Crappy DSP
More crappy DSP
More crappy DSP
CDR burner with a high amount of jitter.
More crappy cable
Cheap power amp.
Cheap monitors
Bedroom with no toughtout sound absorbtion

Which do you think is going to provide better results? :)

So, you might have a few issues that you CAN'T deal with. I am talking about what you CAN deal with.

A $3000 per day studio BETTER allow you to apply some processing without degrading the audio too much eh? But it is just a simple fact that moving the fader from unity on even the best analog console introduces potential problems! So, it may not be as BIG of a problem compared to DSP to do the same thing, but it IS a problem.

What I am getting back to is this:

1 - The more you PROCESS audio, the more problems you create.

2 - Higher quality processors impart less degregation to the audio when used.

3 - Analog and digital processors have DIFFERENT types of problems when used.

4 - You need to be AWARE of the problems and TRY different things to overcome them as best as possible.

I didn't check out Meridians website. I could care less about the DSP they are using for a home stereo frankly. I am sure it is just fine. You can of course put VERY powerful processors in something. But, if you had a 2GHz P4 processors and 1GB of RAM, and you were only going to use Notepad to jot down little sentences, would all that processing power potential gain you anything? Nope. BUT, if you were going to manipulate a .tiff file in PhotoShop, it sure would! You get what I am saying. But, do the filters in PhotoShop work better than the filters in BrandX Garbage Phote Editor which cost 1/10th the price? Most certainly it does! But is PhotoShop going to increase the clarity of a low res scan you did? Can it make a low res scan look like a photo that you developed in a dark room? Possibly it could, IF the code is well written.

But with audio mixing, we still have REAL TIME to deal with, and when you look at $200,000 digital mixing consoles, and start seeing the extent of the processing on board it has, it would make your poor little Celeron drool! That $200K bought you a LOT of processing potential. As well, the company probably spend a considerable amount of time OPTIMIZING the code for all DSP functions to work very well.

Get away from the idea that you can apply large amounts of DSP with something like Vegas Pro, Sonar, Logic, etc...and not have some serious artifacts in the audio. A damn $2000 software/hardware setup just isn't going to compete. BOTTOM LINE.

But, it is what you have to deal with.

So, what I am getting at is this. AVOID DSP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!!!

Simple eh? :) Your audio will come out much better if you track it as close to the sound you want as you possibly can.

Oh, and adding a reverb to stuff is yet another DSP function, and the reverbs Return to the master buss is in effect increasing track count, so yes, in a way, it is adding to the degagration of the audio.

Eddie

very practical...I'm with ya.

by tracking things close to what they should be -

If I have to make an adjustment of 6db, is that going to degrade audio more than an adjustment of 1db? Or is the damage done when it's done?

Can't answer that one for myself...I could see it going either way.

You still are not equating all of this with increased bit depth. If 24 bit offers a MUCH lower noise floor and more finer divisions of the voltages being stored, it will:

1 - Have better resolution for lower level audio when compared to 16 bit. So a lower volume on 24 bit can be recorded and you would STILL have better resolution than 16.

2 - Allow a small amount of DSP to be applied without too much worry of bad artifacts (let's give it the best case scenario of the DSP is actually handling 24 bit properly and the code is written well). A step or two of Quan errors will possibly keep the resulting distortion in audio that is so low that it doesn't matter any more.

So, if you were say needing to track the darn Harp at -6dB (digital full scale), you would retain AT LEAST 16 bits or resolution in the audio! Hopefully, you got EXACTLY the tone you wanted, and don't need compression. Cool, you skipped a step of Quan errors. Less Quan errors = audio sounding much closer to what it originally sounded like. Get it?

So really, if you are tracking a sound you like, and you KNOW it is going to sound right in the mix, it certainly makes sense to avoid as many steps of DSP as possible. You are NOT going to gain any usable resolution tracking as hot as possible IF you don't do anything to the audio while mixing. Get it? The audio will be dithered down to 16 bit eventually, but no use doing ANYTHING if at all possible to start driving that original audio down to 16 bits BEFORE final dithering.

So in wrap up, 24 bit tracking allows us to retain a FULL 16 bits of resolution, and also allow us a bit more flexibility in applying minor amounts of DSP (l mean MINOR with most Wintel based software) without the Quan errors stacking up so much that it starts making the audio sound harsher and with less depth as it started out with.

Many big time engineers will tell you that they can push all their faders up to Unity gain and have pretty darn close to the mix they want for the song. They can do that because the tracks were recorded VERY well and at volumes that are appropriate for the song. Of course, when they DO have to tweak, they are dealing with tools that are much better suited for the job that what we normally have available, so killer gear is always going to add an advantage in the final outcome. But if a person is very careful about how they track, and how they handle the audio after it is tracked, why they could certainly start getting CLOSE to big time results. But the best sounding home demo's I have heard still sound like home demo's. The original tracks are just not good enough to sit as they are in a mix, and the person is then using sub-par processing to deal with the minor tweaks to "fix" things. The less you have to "fix", the less you will be messing up the audio.

Work towards tracking stuff so that your faders can stay at about unity gain, and you don't need to apply eq and compression. Usually, compression is a device used either for a certain "effect" you want on the dynamics, and in the worse case scenario, to "fix" dynamics that inappropriate to the song because the artist and tracking engineer couldn't get it right while tracking. Most big time mixing guys will use compression for the "effect" they want on something. They WANT what it does. I have never said audio HAS to be pristine. I have heard many times where the artifacts of even "bad" processing did something cool for what it was applied to. Eq can be used this way, limiting, compression, and gates. They all do something "bad" to the audio, but sometimes you WANT that bad...:) It is just bad though when you are using this stuff to "correct" what could have been "corrected" when you tracked it. But nobody tracks things totally perfect, so high end tools are made so that "fixing" these things will not have as much of an adverse effect on the audio. That requires well designed pieces of gear, and if these kinds of designs were easy to do, that same gear would be a whole world cheaper than it is. That is the way of things (now I get to hear all of the RNC users say "what about the RNC..cheap and top notch"....Ha!!! It doesn't even have balanced I/O!!! for a demo it is great though, I suppose).

I am done with this thread. Everything I can think to share about this is already contained in my posts in this thread. If you are not understanding the full picture yet, then you are either kidding yourself or not reading closely....;) So I will let er' rest now.

Eddie

I guess to sum it up then nothing has changed in 20yrs. Get the source tracks as good as possible and the less you do in the mix the better off you are.

Jeez, Ed, I could have saved you all that typing ;)

true dat. I'm with ya.

Vocal compression....interesting subject. Is it an effect to make it sound studio....or is it just fixing the dynamics? I think most would agree that it is a certain studio "sound"

btw - how far away are we from widespread 32 bit recording? I know Cubase has that "true tape mode 32" thing....which, I heard worked well.

32 bits....even more room for minor adjustments ;)

:rolleyes: Almost EVERY application that works with 24 bit processing is 32 bit "float". A nice marketing ploy though.

True enough Tex. Not much has changed when it comes to audio in a long time! :) Just different marketing hype, and MANY people that fall for it until they learn enough to know that they didn't know enough at the time to see through it. I will say though that the low end of audio has at least improved, but at the same time, so has the high end! :D

Eddie

I think it's funny how Ed is sticking up for expensive gear while teaching everyone a lesson on the "quality" of budget preamps over at the "Rack" forum. ;)

his point isn't really about expensive gear. it's about how to maximize what you are working with....by taking into account the reality that your gear IS NOT as good as the pro stuff.

I have to give a huge thanks to Eddie in this thread. Ed, your patience and multiple explanations have been extremely helpful. I own modest gear- Korg d1600, ShureKSM 27 mic and various other pieces. I don't expect to stop the world with my end result, but armed with this info will surely help get the best out of imperfection. I can see now why I had some problems I had with my last recording. I always try to track well going in and find that it is much better, and easier, come mix time. The few tracks that were problematic were due to exactly what Ed's talking about. I now feel I can much better control my mix quality with better techniques right from the start. Thanks again Ed.

Dan

I also want to thank you Sonusman.
You've spent some time on this thread.
Much appreciated. ;)

Back