volume pedal--low or high impedance?

jeffree

Just wondering if anyone can explain which version of volume pedal would be best for me. My research here and elsewhere hasn't cleared up the issue for me. I need to add a volume pedal for a recording I'm working on--I'll be using it both direct to the board for bass (no effects) and with a regular guitar via a Johnson J-Station amp modeler. Most volume pedals, like the popular Ernie Ball model, come in two impedance versions, low and high, yet it seems that I need both versions for my different uses. If I have to choose, would one version (low or high imp.) be preferable as an all-around volume pedal?

Thanks for any insight, gang~
J.

jeffree said:
Just wondering if anyone can explain which version of volume pedal would be best for me. My research here and elsewhere hasn't cleared up the issue for me. I need to add a volume pedal for a recording I'm working on--I'll be using it both direct to the board for bass (no effects) and with a regular guitar via a Johnson J-Station amp modeler. Most volume pedals, like the popular Ernie Ball model, come in two impedance versions, low and high, yet it seems that I need both versions for my different uses. If I have to choose, would one version (low or high imp.) be preferable as an all-around volume pedal?

Thanks for any insight, gang~
J.

A guitar is a high impedance device, so you'd need a high Z pedal to plug a guitar or bass directly into it. Personally I 've never seen a low Z volume pedal, but you'd have to go through a DI ahead of it to convert.

Were it my decision, I'd go with the high Z model.

Thanks for the feedback, Gordon. Although I haven't tried doing this, I assume that the low-Z version would come *after* the amp modeler to eliminate the undesireable sound changes that can occur when a volume pedal comes *before* such a processor. I wish I could audition both versions with my rig, but I can't find the low-Z version nearby. I may just have to order both and return one.

J.

Some guitar amps have FX loops which would use HiZ pedals or rack gear. I know Ernie Ball makes a HiZ volume pedal for those applications.

The Ernie Ball pedals come in Hi and Low...500K and 250K. The 250k is recommended for single coil applications and the 500k is for, you guessed it, humbuckers. I don't know if either are better for your situation, but that's the skinny on Ernie Ball.
Frankly, if I was tracking your recording, you wouldn't get anywhere near a volume pedal. Levels is my job, and that pedal can only introduce more noise into our signal chain.

mikemorgan said:
Frankly, if I was tracking your recording, you wouldn't get anywhere near a volume pedal. Levels is my job, and that pedal can only introduce more noise into our signal chain.

Yeah, a good point, Mike. In more than 20 years of recording, I've never before used a volume pedal in the studio. That's one reason I want to try it now for some effects that might fit a particular tune, just to see what turns up. Gotta keep experimenting, you know.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

J.

mikemorgan said:
The Ernie Ball pedals come in Hi and Low...500K and 250K. The 250k is recommended for single coil applications and the 500k is for, you guessed it, humbuckers. I don't know if either are better for your situation, but that's the skinny on Ernie Ball.

Hmmm? I was under the impression (second hand info) that they made a line level volume pedal. It won't be the last time I'll mistaken. I was w w wr w wro LOL

Micter said:
Hmmm? I was under the impression (second hand info) that they made a line level volume pedal. It won't be the last time I'll mistaken. I was w w wr w wro LOL

I thought the traditional dividing line between high and low impedance was 10k or so. So wouldn't that more properly be referred to as extremely high impedance and really freaking extremely high impedance?

:D :D :D

Back