Volume Issues

DTBlalock

I am using an Alesis firewire interface with Logic. My problem is that I have never been to get my final mix up to volume. Ever. The master track is clipping but when I mix it down it only plays at about half the volume as other songs would in a car/big stereo/etc. Any advice?

When you listen to a commercial CD, you are not listening to the mix. You are listening to the master. There is another step after the mix, it's called mastering. That is where all the volume comes from.

Thanks guys.
A mastering guy isn't quite in the question. I am doing this myself. Is there any way to explain this issue in a way that would allow me to work with it myself?

One thing that has helped my mixes was what John (Massive Mastering) finally sunk into my head...

Track at lower levels. Like peaks no higher than -6 to -8.

Pretty simple but I was still in the mode of "track it as hot as you can without clipping."

I've found that tracking at lower levels (along with some lo-cuts) helped to give me more punch and clarity (and volume) when I did my "mastering" for stuff like myspace, soundclick etc. Not that I've perfected it by any means but they're definitely improving.

my 2c.......

Thanks guys.
A mastering guy isn't quite in the question. I am doing this myself. Is there any way to explain this issue in a way that would allow me to work with it myself?
Ram it into a limiter and see how it works.

(and for the record, although the whole "volume thing" happens during the mastering phase, it's by no means the purpose of, nor the major concentration during the mastering phase)

Back