Volume envelopes

bdemenil

Hi, I'm using Cubase SX 3 for the first time. There are two ways I can see of drawing volume envelopes for a track. The first is drawing directly on the event with the pencil tool - although what i don't like about this method is that it doesn't seem to give any info on either the db or time of each envelope point. The other method is to draw on the dedicated volume envelope window for the track in question. Using this method you get db and timing info for each point (when you click on it). Why are there two methods of creating volume envelopes? Is there one I should be using over the other?

they both do since they are editing the same thing. One is more convenient for precision editing thats all. Both are ways of editing the same thing. Its analogous to the midi editor and the edit in place midi editor

hmmm.. I found one difference. If you draw the envelope directly on the track, it adjusts level relative to the to the track's fader. So if you draw in a 5db cut, but have the fader at +5 it will net out to zero for that section. On the dedicated volume window, any levels you put in are absolute and will actually control the track fader. So if you have an envelope point at -5db, the track fader will slide down to -5db when it plays over that section.

Does anyone know either how to make envelope on the volume track relative (independent of the track fader), or how to get precise reading of envelope points on the main track?

Another thing is that the envelope tool on the main track only alows volume cuts and not boosts. looks like it's purpose is mainly for fading.

only work around I can see is to send a track to a group channel. Then any envelope on the original track will be relative and independent of volume changes on the group.

hey, I found the answer in another post here on the forum:

here's the thread: http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=202192

jabulani jonny :

Not sure about Cubase but Nuendo has different automation modes which you can select from a drop down box at the top. Change the mode to "Trim" mode and then select the audio event that you want to raise the volume. Make sure your Left and Right Locators encompass the entire event. Turn on Automation Write, while the audio is stopped, grab the volume slider and raise it. When you switch to Trim mode and turn on Write, you will notice that the volume slider jumps to the middle of its range. This allows you to raise or lower the volume relative to the automation.

So, change to Trim mode select Automation Write for the track you want. Make sure the right and left locators encompass the entire area that you want to adjust. Raise or lower volume by whatever amount you want. Put automation on read and play file. Voila.

Jonathan

Back