Volume drop when drum machine Midi-d up

Atwork

I have a Boss DR770 on which the volume drops considerably when I connect it up to a sequencer or drum pad. I'm following all the syncing instructions as far as I'm aware. The DR770 is still useable when Midi-d up but I have to up the volume so much on the mixer that I get lots of unwanted noise. If I then hit a pad on the DR770 the volume blows my ears off. So it does seem to be a Midi problem. Any one know what it might be?

The only thing I can imagine could be happening to you here is that you are getting comb filtering from two copies of the same audio signal coming out of the speakers. This happens if, say, you have a synth MIDI'd up, routed through the speakers, and you have also recorded its output and that's also playing back from the recorder. The two signals are nearly identical in time, but off just enough to cause some destructive interference between the waveforms. So, the volume drops and it usually sounds wimpier or less colorful in timbre, as some of the frequencies cancel more than others, etc.

Hi,

I don't think it's that. The volume drop happens when I've just got the DR770 playing by itself through a mixer, connected to a sequencer, with the recorder switched off. And I don't get this problem if I substitute a sampler for the DR770. I had a reply on another site suggesting it could be something to do with continuous controller messages. I'm going to look into that.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like your sequencer is outputting a lower velocity message than is being transmitted normally when you play the pads. Most sequencers use a default velocity of 100 (on a scale of 0-127). When you play the pads your probably set at max (Which may be using a fixed velocity of 127). What sequencer do you use? Try changing the velocity values and see if this helps any (Either via Logical Functions, or Controller Lanes, etc.).

Back