Volume adjuster ?

imecho40

MY stereo headphone jack is too hot for my soundcard.I have no other ouputs to choose from (this is an older unit). I read somewhere about trying a Volume adjuster on the headphones , but my local Radio Shack guy had no idea what I needed.Might it have another name.I need this to rip my vinyl records to cd's.Thanks

I had to read your post about 3 times before I figured out what I THINK you want to do - I think you're trying to take the headphone out of an older stereo, into your sound card, for the purpose of making your vinyle records into CD's -

If that's what you're trying to do (only thing that made any sense the way the post is worded) there are a couple of possible options:

The BEST way, if the turntable you're using is a SEPARATE unit, would be to go back to Radio Shack and ask for a PHONO PREAMP - RS sells one (or used to, anyway) for about $15-25, that has two RCA jacks in from a turntable, and two RCA jacks out, normally used to go into a stereo AUX input. This unit has the required RIAA equalization circuit built in, so your records don't sound like they're being played through a cheap telephone. You would also need a pair of patch cords that have RCA connectors on one end and whatever the LINE or AUX inputs to your sound card need. IF your soundcard's Line or Aux inputs are on a stereo mini jack, there are "Y" cables that have a stereo mini jack on one end and two RCA connectors on the other.

The above way will get you the best sound - however, if the turntable on your system is BUILT IN and has NO SEPARATE outputs direct from the turntable, such as RCA connectors, then you may HAVE to use the headphone output. You may be able to just turn the main volume control down enough to get the right level for your sound card (make sure you're using the AUX or LINE inputs, and NOT the MIC inputs) -

If the last way is your only choice, and you CAN'T get the levels low enough, Radio Shack also sells some little red adapters that have 30 dB pads built in. The ones I've seen are mini plugs, so you would need to find enough cables/adapters to go from whatever size stereo phone jack your headphone output is, to a pair of mono outputs ("Y" adapter), then through one of these 30 dB pads for each channel, and finally into whatever adapters you need in order to go from the mini jack on the pads into your sound card.

If you go this last route, you will probably need to raise the volume control slightly to get enough output for your soundcard's LINE or AUX inputs, but that's OK. Just make sure you DON'T try to use the MIC inputs of your soundcard EVER, because you will be going through the world's crappiest excuse for a preamp on the way to CD - The quality of signal that way could concievably be bad enough to make your vinyl sound worse on CD than it does from the turntable.

Hope I got the question right - if not, post back... Steve

Sorry for the confusion. I was was trying to be brief without
going into a big discertation as to why I needed the volume adjuster. I didnt realize that I was leaving too many gaps in the info. Let me try again.
I have an older (sound design) stereo system.It has a seperate turntable that connects to the main stereo console.This console has a built in graphic equalizer. The console has no outputs other than speakers and headphones.When I tried using a patch cord from my headphone to my sound card, the distortion was real bad.Very little music could be heard. I thought I might have some type of impedance mismatch that a volume control might correct. The guy at Radio Shack said he was a "sound guy" but didn't understand what I wanted.Thats why I posted asking if it went by some other name..Thanks for the response.

If I were you, I'd forget about using that console... just pick up a used turntable and get yourself a Phono preamp as Steve suggested....

There's obviously a mismatch with that particular headphone output, so you'll never get great results going that route.

Rat shack didn't have a pre-amp.The sales clerk couldnt find one in the catalog either. she indicated it might be an on-line ordering item,but were not sure. On a whim,I went to circuit City,and I bought one for $40.00. It has 2 RCA inputs,and 2 RCA outputs,and is powered by a 6 VDC wall wort. Hopefully this will do the trick.....Thanks again.:)

If your turntable is a separate item as you say, it probably already has RCA connections that tie in to the stereo. The least expensive way to connect, if that's the case, would be the separate Phono Preamp as I said. Simply unplug the turntable from the stereo and plug it into the Phono Preamp, then plug the preamp into the LINE inputs on your sound card. You would adjust recording volume from the sound applet in your computer. This is normally on a separate window from the playback volume controls.

If your turtable does NOT have that type of connection, and you want to move up at least 2 more notches in quality, you could order a Teac turntable that already HAS a built-in preamp - I found one of these mail order for $99 - it would plug straight into your sound card (remember, AUX or LINE, not MIC inputs) and all you'd need would be the proper cables. Probably a dual RCA to single stereo mini plug.

I wasn't able to find any reference on Radio Shack's site on just a preamp, but they have an RCA branded turntable that DOES have a built-in preamp, for $99. Here's a link.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...87FFAFCE3304EEB8D4D84636430C3AAE5D0C77B779650

Man, good thing they don't charge by the character, that TT would cost $$$$$...

You might ask your "sound guy" salesman (the one that knows very little about very little) if they still carry the Phono Preamp - this would be cheaper, if your TT sounds good thru the stereo. Otherwise, the RCA unit would be the simplest way to go... Steve

I might have to spring for a new tt,something still is not quite right. This system always needed the graphic equalizer on in order to boost the sound to a rich quality.Without it being on,the sound was weak,and empty sounding. Since I am bypassing the equalizer,the sound from the turntable is weak,and empty sounding.I wouldn't have thought that the turntable itself would make so much difference,but I am a newbie..lol
Maybe the graphic equalizer is providing the required RIAA equalizer?

Last edited:
Back