Volcano w/vocal

I like the change in vocals, but I can't tell you if they cut through much more right now. I just came back from a concert and my ears are a little shredded. I'll give it another spin tomorrow night and see if I can hear anything by then :)

Thanks man. Yeah I think the new vocal works better

I don't know wtf these other guys are hearing. I'm hearing a fat and powerful mix that isn't lacking at all in "air" or shimmer. The low end is powerful but tight and controlled. Very well done there. Everything is clear and present to me. Everything has it's own space and separation while all bashing together. Pretty awesome. The vocals seem perfectly fine to me, and the mix suits the style perfectly. I wouldn't change a thing. Very well done.

Yeah there was an earlier version of the vocal that was sspittting and ppopping all over the show. I'm thinking that the new vocal might be just a tad forward. Hey thanks for the feedback on the mix. Great to hear it's OK at your end. Cheers Greg

This sounds pretty great to me. I like how strong all the low end is without sounding muddy. The vocals also sound in the right place to me - in rather than in front of the mix. If you have the facility to add some de-essing to them, then I'd do that and get rid of the sibilance - other than that it all sounds complete.

Yep I think if I roll the upper highs off the vocal, they might just sit back a little more optimally. Thanks for the listen Rob

I had a chance to listen in studio. I think the mix is fucking great!

I do hear a bit of harshness in the vocals 'es-es' but that is kind of an effect here. I do feel a bit of something missing after the vocals are done. Like something should be there. Or is that the point for there not to be?

Overall, you have a great combination of complete dirty stuff that is pleasing to the ear. Props to ya BH! I'm not sure I could ever do anything like this myself....

Good of you to come back and check it again. I'm not a natural lyricist so if I can squeeze out a couple of verses then I'm doing well. All the dirty stuff is courtesy of my new pedal. It seems to be good at making dirt sound pleasing. Thanks again Jimmy

Yup. It's not muddy; there's tons of it, though. I'm listening to that part that sounds like big dinosaurs coming though - the bit just before the vocal - and I wondered what it would be like if it was a brighter part, like I suggested earlier. It would have more upper end, but maybe it would sound better like it is now. It would be the first thing I'd check and A/B if I was mixing it.

OK that's not a bad idea. I could track another guitar over it & see how it blends. Cheers dobro

Hey thanks for the different perspective. If the guitars are whacking you over the head, then I've done something right! Short of retracking the guitars the only way I can introduce air into the mix now is with eq boosts which I tend to avoid generally. I'm still getting to know this Eventide pedal so the sounds are largely experimental. While I didn't set out on the road to darkness it seems to be where I've ended up and I quite like the guitar tones. I appreciate the listen Llarion and the time taken to comment

My pleasure. Listen man, in this genre, I'd listen to Greg's advice way before I'd listen to me; as I said initially, I'm FAR from an expert in this genre. There used to be mix contests that a guy would do in here years ago, and it was speed metal, and I always placed mid-pack or below, because the mix priorities in the genre are different from the idiom in which I normally work. I always made them sound too smooth. I haven't gotten my head around hard rock, metal, and all the pushier, bombastic styles.

I like it.

Hey there, I'm new to this forum so bare with me.
All in all I really like what you did there. Please don't be insulted by this, it is intended to be a compliment.
when i listen I hear a cool combination of Grunge laced with a bit of Sabbath with a vocal style like The Psychedelic furs.
Very cool !

Jim.

My pleasure. Listen man, in this genre, I'd listen to Greg's advice way before I'd listen to me; as I said initially, I'm FAR from an expert in this genre. There used to be mix contests that a guy would do in here years ago, and it was speed metal, and I always placed mid-pack or below, because the mix priorities in the genre are different from the idiom in which I normally work. I always made them sound too smooth. I haven't gotten my head around hard rock, metal, and all the pushier, bombastic styles.

Any feedback is valuable, particularly where it addresses the mix balance and tonality. You don't need to be any kind of expert to find issues in my mixes. Thanks again man.

Hey there, I'm new to this forum so bare with me.
All in all I really like what you did there. Please don't be insulted by this, it is intended to be a compliment.
when i listen I hear a cool combination of Grunge laced with a bit of Sabbath with a vocal style like The Psychedelic furs.
Very cool !

Jim.

Hey first post! There should be a bugle or something to welcome you aboard. I'm not at all insulted, it's a big compliment if you can hear Sabbath and the Furs in there. Thanks for the feedback and glad you liked it.

I agree this is a tricky mix between the vocals and guitars, I'd personally go with the vocal, and bring it up even more.

Overall great tune and mix, always like your stuff.

Alternate mix, with the vocal 1.5 dB louder? Radical. But I'd do it.

I've listened three times now. Good stuff. I can hear the high end now. lol

I agree this is a tricky mix between the vocals and guitars, I'd personally go with the vocal, and bring it up even more.

Overall great tune and mix, always like your stuff.

Yeah bit of a skirmish happening between the usual suspects. You're right though the vocal was being masked, so I've nudged it. Thanks PDP, appreciate the comments

Alternate mix, with the vocal 1.5 dB louder? Radical. But I'd do it.

I've listened three times now. Good stuff. I can hear the high end now. lol

I tried the vocal up 1db, and it was just borderline annoying, so I've gone with +0.5db and a bit of EQ. I think it's pretty close, thanks for the plays dobro

Back