VoiceMasterPro D/A better than Mbox D/A?

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Hey guys,

Just wondering, I'm getting an offer on the A/D add-on to the Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro at a decent price and I was wondering if that was any better than the built in converters in the Mbox. Anyone have any clue? Will I hear any difference?? Is it worth buying!?!?

Thanks!

When I looked into this, the word I got was that it's not a particularly great A/D. Decent, but not high end. It would give you something to do with your S/PDIF in though, and free up your other A/D's. So if you're I/O bound, you would gain that much.

-RD

Robert D said:
When I looked into this, the word I got was that it's not a particularly great A/D. Decent, but not high end. It would give you something to do with your S/PDIF in though, and free up your other A/D's. So if you're I/O bound, you would gain that much.

-RD

Hi Robert, Thanks for the reply. So from what youre saying though, would it be an upgrade at all from the Mbox Convertors? Or is it just a waste realy of a couple extra bucks..

Well, I've never heard the M-Box converters, nor did I hear the converter they use in the platinum Focusrites. When I was enquiring to Focusrite about this, I was asking how it would compare with my M-Audio Delta 66 converters, and they thought I wouldn't gain anything over those. I use Lynx-II converters now, which are highly regarded and about 4x the price per channel of the Delta converters, and honestly, the difference is not huge. So my best guess would be that you wouldn't hear much difference. It is entirely possible that there would be absolutely no difference, as the M-Box converters may well be the same exact converters as in the platinum series A/D option. A call to Focusrite might confirm that, or give you the information you need to help with your decision.

Regards,
RD

Back