Voice whommmph problem ?

luxeomni

Ok so here it is, everytime i record vocals i have some "whommpmph" sounds behind, well i first thought it was the mic or the preamp, but i tried after with an u87 with an avalon and the prob is still there, it may be my card ( M audio 18-14 ) or maybe an electricty prob ?
there is a sample :

thx for any advice and sorry for the crappy english :)

yeah i m using a shock mount but it might be the mic stand, i ll try that.
ill keep you informed

thanks a lot.

I had to turn it up pretty loud to hear it, but yeah that's not a nice sound. I'll bet mixed in with the instruments you'd never notice it, though.

I agree that when you factor in the instruments you'll almost definately NOT hear this whoomph. It's got an almost bass like quality that you could utilise - somehow???

Just for arguments sake could you honsetly say that the vocals were entirely isolated. Where is your drum kit when you're recording the vocals? It sounds to me that reverbration might be the problem.

The vocals sound a tad dry to me - is this deliberate in order to make your point?

Try to roll off a little low end and see how that sounds.

Bluesjnr

Throw a high pass filter either on the mic, pre, or when mixing and be done with it. Set it to about 70Hz, and you should be okay.

could be bass reverberating on something nearby, a panel? either way, the advice to cut everything below 70 (or even 120) may be the answer.

ive heard that noise before using a crap soundblaster 16 bit soundcard.. sounds like a bad electrical problem.. might be the card... or.. possibly, a crappy cable or something.. but i agree witht he other guys.. sounds much like a vibrating surface.

joe

hi, again, thx for all your replies, i tried with the mic at hand, and there is still the prob, i tried without any compression or eq etc etc, still the prob too, it may come from the convertors of my soundcard ?

thx

Have you tried recording into something else? That way you can eliminate the room/mic/preamp/cables if the sound goes away. If it doesn't go away, you'll know the card is ok.

Back