Vocals mic ~$60

NuTT98

What do you folks suggest? Not for professional use but home voice recordings. Would 70-17k be possible at this price range? Recommendations above 60 or even 100 dollars are welcome.

I would recommend, in that price range, the MXL v67 large diaphragm condensor mic. I used it as my primary vocal mic for a year or so, and I liked it on my voice.

Do you have a mic preamp with phantom power?

If yes, the Marshall is good, as is the Studio Projects B1. You can pick up an Oktava MK-319 at Guitar Center for no more than $99 right now, and that's a hell of a mic, if you don't mind a "dark" sound. There are a whole palette of "colors" that you can buy in condenser mics for less than $100. Go to your local retailer and check them out on YOUR voice, preferably using the same preamp you're using at home.

If you don't have phantom power, you're going to have to get a dynamic mic. Lots of people swear by the Shure SM58. You can pick up a Beyer M88 or M69 for less than $100 on eBay from time to time.

not me, asking for some dude that doesn't like to sing :)

I don't know the details but he'd like to use it with things such as a cam's mic input since the internal one obviously sucks.

I think we'll need to more of the input characteristics of the camcorder's mic input - impedence and sensitivity. It obviously won't have phantom power, so cannot be a condenser mic.

It will not be used with anything specific, it will be moved around to various sources. Consider an input impedance of some 1-4K.

Realise that sound quality is not critical, just a good clean voice. Something universal that can be moved around.

NuTT98 said:
It will not be used with anything specific, it will be moved around to various sources. Consider an input impedance of some 1-4K.

Realise that sound quality is not critical, just a good clean voice. Something universal that can be moved around.

SM57-- good enough for the president's podium. Used in a lot of courtrooms, etc. Slightly less $ than the 58, and works well on everything.

Back