vocals (left/right)

bigeasy

I am using Cakewalk ProAudio 9; I have a Mackie 1202 Mixer and using a SBLive Platinum soundcard. I have line out on the soundcard to the line in 5-6 on the mixer. I have ALT 3-4 in back of the mixer going into the line in/mic in on the live drive (front) of the soundcard. On the mixer the Low Cut, Mute (channel 1 and 2) buttons are pressed to record vocals. The source in cakewalk is set for left (track 1) and right (track 2). I have the first channel hard panned left and the second channel hard panned right. When both tracks are armed and I begin recording vocals the right channel is not being picked up by the software it seems. My vocalist on the left channel is doing the bulk of the singing and the second vocalist on the right channel is not singing as much more or less in a background kind of role. I hear the left channel clear and see the audio on both tracks in CWPA9. By me having both tracks armed this is why I am getting audio on both tracks or is there something that needs to be set? I tried changing the “y” cables to the line in/mic in the live drive – still the same results. Do I have something set wrong on the mixer or am I unable to record two separate tracks at the same time?

No, you certainly should be able to record both tracks at the same time. You say Y cables, which gives me pause... but I'm not very familiar with the LiveDrive... ah, looking at the Creative website now... OK, so there's a 1/4" stereo jack there. You should therefore have a single Y-cable, two 1/4" mono plugs to one 1/4" TRS stereo plug.

Is it possible the 1/4 end is not a TRS stereo plug? If not, that would account for getting a single channel.

If not... then, you should be assigning the two mic channels to the ALT 3-4 bus. You might have to use the pan knobs on the mixer to place them hard left and right, respectively, so they come out each channel compeletely independent from each other.

VOCALS/(LEFT/RIGHT)

Hey thanks for the response. You mention in your reply "Is it possible the 1/4 end is not a TRS stereo plug? " what do you mean by "TRS". I am thinking you are talking about the cable. How will I be able to tell that the it is a TRS 1/4 stereo plug and the othe two are mono? thanks again!!!

TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) refers to the connection on the end of the cable. The TRS connection has an extra ring on it as opposed to a standard instrument cable. It is a three wire connection and is "balanced", whereas the instrument cable is two-wire and is "unbalanced".

Since pictures are easier to understand than words, here's a picture of a standard 1/4" connection:
http://www.hosatech.com/GTR200.html

and here's one of a TRS connection (actually several): http://www.hosatech.com/CSS800.html

You might also want to read the short article at:
http://homerecording.about.com/musicperform/homerecording/library/weekly/aa082697.htm

Same Problem...

I also have that same problem on CWPA9. I tried to separate my main drum kit from my kick drum, I've got an 8-channel Behringer Mixer and I have my single overhead and tom mics on channel 1, 2, & 3 all panned left then the kick on channel 4 panned right. I connect the 2 main outs on my mixer to the (TRS) Y-cable, then connect the Y-cable to a (TRS) 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor, then plug that into my soundcard. On CW I have the 1st track's input source set left (for main drums) and the 2nd track's right (for kick). But for some reason I still get the kick on both right and left tracks and the main drums on right and left tracks. I don't know why they won't stay on their designated tracks. Should the cables from my mixer to the Y-cable be TRS? Is there some setting in CW that I don't have set properly?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

-tkr

I had this same issue doing monitoring, I could not seperate the channels. What I found was I had a stereo cable that was shorted, so left right was being sent to both channels. Can you guys isolate the left/right at all?

Stereo Stereo Stereo. ALL cables should be stereo (TRS) if you will. If you go to a y-cable that is not TRS then you are doing exactly what I had going on. L and R are being summed into the source. You may even be getting less signal than you should be. IT made my volumes about 6db louder when I finally got them separated.

Check the entire signal path for stereo separation. Test test and then test it again......

:confused:

I hope you guys have it straight, because you have me a little confused.

Tekker, you say "I connect the 2 main outs on my mixer to the (TRS) Y-cable".

By the 2 main outs, I assume you mean the left and right channels - which obviously are mono signals. You should not use stereo connections there. Use them only where you bring the two mono's together (i.e., the base of the Y). In other words, your Y connection should be two mono's into one stereo. Maybe that's what you were saying, but it wasn't clear to me.

The Sultan is correct in saying that if your Y connection is ALL mono, then you are summing L & R into a single mono source. Your Y should be mono/mono into stereo.

vocal(left/right)

If you are using a SBLive Platuim soundcard than on the front of the Live Drive where the Line In / Mic In, turn that Knob counterclock wise untill you hear the click and that puts it at stereo, once I stumbled on this I was abel to record the simoustaneouly but yet independant but this is only related to the SBLive Platuim

Sultan,
No, I can't isolate left/right at all, do you think the Y-cable is what's wrong? It is 2 monos to 1 stereo, but like you said maybe it could be shorted. I'll try replacing it and get back to you.

Dachay,
I was talking about the right and left channels. I know these are mono signals, and I figured that the cable going from them to the Y-cable would not have to be stereo, I was just thowing out ideas because I couldn't figure out why this wasn't working, when it should be.

Thanx for the replies, I'll let you know how it turns out

-tkr

Try connecting only one side at a time to isolate what channel is having the problem... By doing that you may be able to see where the issue is.

If not, then you need to check all your cables one by one untill you find it. If you need help to isolate it let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Let me know.

Tekker - you are correct, the cables going from your mixer to the Y do not have to be stereo (and should not be stereo). However, I was speaking of the Y cable itself. The two branches of the Y should also not be stereo - only the base of the Y should be stereo. Also, your 1/4 to 1/8 adapter should be stereo on both ends.

Back