Vocals lacking in quality?!

Lankesh

Hi, I've been writing music for a while now and have recently been trying to record my own songs/covers.

My issue with what I'm recording is the quality. I know this is EXTREMELY broad but I myself am not sure where I am going wrong.

I have attached the raw vocals, mixed vocals, and mixed vocals + beat of a cover I have made.

I use a Blue Yeti microphone using it's desk stand along with a pop filter. I record in a very small room so the laptop is unfortunately quite close to the microphone but I don't think that is the main issue? I stand at least half a foot away from the microphone but sometimes I do get quite loud.

I use Reaper as my DAW, and on this specific track I have applied EQ, Compressor, Reverb and Delay (Delay is only in the very beginning).

If anyone has any advice as to how I can improve, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Attachments

• Spitfire - Started From The Bottom RAW.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 10
  • Spitfire - Started From The Bottom FULL.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 1
  • Spitfire - Started From The Bottom MIXED.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 15
Overload... Clipping your preamp, recording to hot in Reaper, or your mic has gone to shizz. You need to address the input level, or source of the distorted vocal track , before any addition of any effects. There is nothing you can do with what you have recorded. It is what I would call 'Toast'. Cant scrape off the burned stuff, and make a good sandwich.

Overload... Clipping your preamp, recording to hot in Reaper, or your mic has gone to shizz. You need to address the input level, or source of the distorted vocal track , before any addition of any effects. There is nothing you can do with what you have recorded. It is what I would call 'Toast'. Cant scrape off the burned stuff, and make a good sandwich.

Do you think it's human error? What does "clipping my preamp" or "recording too hot" mean? Sorry I'm a real newbie.

You hear the distortion on the track? That is something in your input chain, causing this. Either you are trying to record way to loud (common mistake), or there is something seriously wrong with your gear. I would assume that it is just your recording level, or you are using an internal soundcard.

You should be targeting an input level of around -18dBFS. This is the meter Reaper should show you when recording. If you are hitting the top of the meter, then you are way hot.

Are you using an interface, or a internal soundcard? Is this a USB Blue Yeti? I'm not even sure if there is any other. Likely, you are stuck with crappy sound, unless you replace your soundcard with an interface. And then, the mic itself. Again, I am not familiar with the mic you are using, so I cant tell you it's crap just yet. Gonna lean that way tho....

It might be my loudness..
How do I know when my recording is -18dB?
I'm using an internal soundcard and yes the mic is the USB Blue Yeti. Any recommended mics around the same price range ($150?) and recommended interfaces?

Reaper is a digital DAW. It's meters will be in dBFS. -18 is what you should target.

Any interface will be better than what you have built in to your computer. Lexicon Alpha is one that I have used. $60 I think. There are many others in that price range that will make a huge difference in the quality of sound you are getting. And, well, your mic choice is not bad for what it is, but it is not in any way ideal for recording great vocal tracks. No USB mic will be really. It is in essence, intended for speaking. Not going to be your best bet for rapping over backing tracks.

I would suggest that you start over with your purchases, ad hopefully sell what you have.

There are many 'sticky' threads about this on this site. I suggest you do a bunch of reading, then form your own direction from there.

Welcome to HR man! :)

Jimmy

Thanks for your help!
I'll look into XLR mics and Audio Interfaces, anything else that I'll need to help me get started?

My first suggestion, would be to read the 'stickys' at the top of each forum here. Lot's of info there. We make them stickys because they sum up a bunch of knowledge that members can use straight off. Once you get a bit more familiar with the ins and outs of recording, you will be able to ask more direct questions.

:)

Back