Vocals in a 14'x14' Untreated Room - Need Advice

MoBettaBlues

I want to record some vocals in this room and it's untreated. Carpet on the floor, DAW on the same room. Recording with an SM58 and/or SM57.

What should I do to be able to record some vocals in this room without permanantly treating it? (We are selling the house)

What should I do for this temporary situation that is easy and quick?

FYI... I can pick up a few sheets of 24x48" 703.

Well, the room size and treatment are about as far from ideal as you can manage.

However, I don't think a 57 or 58 is going to pick up much room, especially if the singer has any volume.

Why don't you try it and take it from there?

I haven't made any serious attempts at recording vocals in this room (for songs). I'm planning to experiment this week.

I have done recordings for instructional recordings & video's and there is more noise from my computer than I would like to hear.

I haven't made any serious attempts at recording vocals in this room (for songs). I'm planning to experiment this week.

I have done recordings for instructional recordings & video's and there is more noise from my computer than I would like to hear.

Problem is the loud computer. Get some 120mm fans in there and a fan controller so you can run them at slow speeds and still move a lot of air. They make passive heatsinks for videocards and motherboard chipsets. Zalman makes a 120mm cpu HSF with a controller. I use it, and it's very quiet. Solid state drives are less reliable, but hot swappable and absolutely quiet. You could even put in a fast cpu, like 3 or 3.2 ghz, and underclock it so that you could use minimal cooling like you would with a HTPC.

Place some chairs around the CPU then drape some blankets over the CPU using the chairs as support. This should help with some of the noise. Just make sure there is some air flow space.

everything i've ever recorded has been in a room about that size, with no treatment, and a noisy computer :(....

it's amazing what you can do with a few boards/sheets to dampen computer fan noise,,,and some careful mic positioning to pick up as little of the pc noise as possible....

i already use 120mm fans,,but i'm overclocked so much that they need to be running fast.......
quick tip if it's possible for you is to track on a laptop,,,then do you mixin on the main pc.....

but before that,,,do what others have said and just try some recording.....cos there's a fair chance you might be happy with the sound already.....

good luck.

Back