Vocals get muddy the lower I go...

Trippalot

Hello. I'm using an Audio Technica 4033 for vocals and have been impressed with it so far; however, I've just started working on the vocals for a song where some of the parts are a bit low in the baritone/bass range, and, though the AT4033 picks me up fine when I'm singing in the mid to high range, this baritone/bass sound is far from pleasing to the ear. It gets almost so muddy that I can't even understand the lyrics, and it gets lost in the mix. Anybody got any ideas on how to make the lows sound as good as the mids and highs? Maybe it's the EQ?

How far away from you from the mic? You might want to try backing up so that the "el proximo" effect isn't as prominent. Try about 8"-10" away from the mic.

I never have / had that problem with 4033's, which can take a helluvalot of SPL accross the spectrum. It should therefore in theory not make a difference if you move further away from the mic when you are singing something low.

The first thing you might want to try is to activate the high pass filter, which gives you a smooth tail-off from 200Hz down.

That will cut your low end a bit. Try that, if it does not work we'll look further. However, like I said, these mics can take the heat, so you might investigate the rest of your chain as well.

I dont' think it's a problem of the SPLs... I think it could still be the proximity effect. It would just be more evident if the proximity effect is boosting the frequencies that you happen to be singing. So, i would back off maybe a bit, and for sure put that low pass filter on... remember that 7k or something like that is in the "intelligibility" range. SO if you can't hear what the heck you are saying, try adding a little of this...

On a less technical standpoint, is the track you are working with to busy in the vocal range? Make sure you leave space in there somewhere for the vocals. Typically distorted electric guitars will take up similar frequencies as the voice. Um, you can also think of the way you are singing... The lower range of the voice is naturally not as cutting as the upper range... that's why on studio versions of songs, they push their ranges a lot - it adds bite and excitement. A lot of times the lower range is used for less busy parts of the song because it is usually quieter-sounding. So i'd think about all that too.

take it all with a grain of salt. hope it helps.

Back