Vocals- 7 Nation Army

Rockr56

I was wondering how they got that vocal sound. Lots of compression? Overdrive? Telephone effect? Enquiring minds want to know. :cool:

They need a bass player... lol.

E - F# - G - F# - E - C - B... (G - A).... never heard of it... lol. :D

Anyway, sorry it's been a while since I've heard the song... I'd have to listen to it again.

they recorded that entire album in a studio with pre 70's equipment, maybe even pre 60's, it was wicked old. at least early 60s if it was 60s at all. all in about 14 days. all analog and everything.

Jack White does have sort of a douche bag personality...at least in the media. But when I heard the new Loretta Lynn album...wow. I've got some respect for him now.

Man, one time in physics class in high school, a group of friends and I built shoebox guitars for a project. I put a 1/4" jack on the box, and taped a piezo element from an old earphone to it, wired it up. Ran it through a phaser pedal into a little amp I put together in an old kmart stereo speaker.

We all played 7-Nation Army on those things. It was sweet as heck. ;)

Anyway, maybe some slight overdrive and some slight "telephoney" type eq could help get you more toward that sound.

i read that he uses a distressor, which is a $1500 compressor that does "tricks".. having never used one, I believe it emphases upper harmonic frequencies. although elephant was supposedly made with all pre-1964 or something equipment; which would mean no distresor.

Back