Vocalists and their "scratchy / harsch" voice abilities...

dreamache

I've noticed nearly every successful rock group has a vocalist who is able to (or at least sounds like it) get that scratchy / harsch vocal sound going especially during choruses and such. I've been dabbling with my own vocals for the past couple weeks and I find that it's very smooth / clean and I end up almost spitting my guts out trying to force out that harsch voice sound...

I've been listening closely to several bands out there and what initially appears of singers singing *like that*, I'm wondering to myself if perhaps some of them really are singing clean, but some sort of vocal effect is applied to make it appear as though it has "that sound"... know what I'm saying?

I'm wondering if there's a way through plugins alone that could help simulate this effect as close as possible?

Thanks.

I know what you're talking about, that Janis Joplin on demand sound. You'll want to talk to a vocal trainer/instructor for sure before you start belting it out. You could do some long term damage. Otherwise, short career and/or steroid shots could be in your immediate future.

You could just start smoking cigars... :D

punkin said:
I know what you're talking about, that Janis Joplin on demand sound. You'll want to talk to a vocal trainer/instructor for sure before you start belting it out. You could do some long term damage. Otherwise, short career and/or steroid shots could be in your immediate future.

Yeah, vocal coaching... With training can you achieve that vocal sound safely is what I'm wondering.. ?

punkin said:

I used the cigar and whiskey approach.... :D

not for nothin,

but the cigar thing isn't really a joke :)

oh no.. new title, 'whats the best cigar for getin good rock vocals, under $40'

the cohiba is the right answer to that; Cubans over Dominican's of course.

Add the extra pop filter for the lung chunk that might come up :eek: Pretty soon the studio is gonna look like a salad bar :p

You can compress the living hell out of it and you'll get closer. Other than that, most of the sound is just the vocalist's timbre, just the way they sound.

The "breathy" kind of scratchy voice, or the "Black Gospel singer" type of scratch? For the "Black Gospel singer" type, (ala Dave Matthews or Lajon from Sevendust) that's pretty easy to achieve, either by singing loudly from the back of your throat (hard to explain, but easy to mimick). For the "breathy" scratchy sound (ala Chad Kroeger of Nickelback), just have to practice. We can't all sound the same, there is a reason that they are famous!

TragikRemix said:
oh no.. new title, 'whats the best cigar for getin good rock vocals, under $40'

the cohiba is the right answer to that; Cubans over Dominican's of course.
But I'm too lazy to get a job to pay for studio cigars. What setting would I use to make White Owls taste the same way? :D

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
But I'm too lazy to get a job to pay for studio cigars. What setting would I use to make White Owls taste the same way? :D

G.

:rolleyes: :D :D :D

just tenderize it with an sm57 then...

SouthSIDE Glen said:

G.
Generally, the cheaper the cigar, the more expensive the whiskey.... :D

A little smoke helps to get a little bit of air in your voice

If you smoke "anything" right before you sing, literally. It will help. I've been using this technique when I wanta little extra emotion, like you've been up all night drinking whiskey. It really does help, it kind of dries out your vocal chords or your throat or something.

Middleman said:
You either got it, or you don't. You can't make that sound and have it sell any believability.

Now is that entirely true? Were all of the famous singers out there who can do it, *always* able to do it before?

Because I see a lot of contradiction as I do research.. even within this thread, some say practice, some say cigars and whiskey lol, some say vocal coaching...

dreamache said:
Now is that entirely true? Were all of the famous singers out there who can do it, *always* able to do it before?

Because I see a lot of contradiction as I do research.. even within this thread, some say practice, some say cigars and whiskey lol, some say vocal coaching...
Cigars and whiskey might make your voice scratchy, but I won't say it's teh best for ya....

Whatever you do don't start smoking to try to get your voice to sound different. That's a stupid idea. Vocal coaching will be cheaper than cigars/ciggys/whisky and will help your vocals a lot more and not give you cancer in the process.

You might need to accept that you can't do the raw raspy voice. Or rather that it does't suit you. Some people have the genes/personality for it some don't.

Technically speaking the hoarse raspy sound you are after is not 'correct' singing and it's not natural for anyone. Doing it involves rattling you vocals cords against each other in a manner that can cause damage to the tissue. But don't let the fact that it's not the proper way to sing stop you if that's what you really want.

If you do get singing lessons it's important to get the right teacher who understands your rock sensibilities. You don't want to end up sounding like a choir boy. Understanding your voice will help you know when you can beat it up a little and when you are going too far.

Practice lots, listen to cd's then try to copy what you hear... just go easy or you will damage you voice. If it hurts a little that's ok but if it hurts a lot stop.

All the best.

Barn Owl

Vocal coaching will get it done. It has to be a real vocal coach, not just any fool at the local community college.

If you go to youtube and look up Heart, you will notice that Ann Wilson's voice used to be a lot clearer than it is now. She was powerful back then, but now she can kill people at 50 yards. It's technique and practice.

Barn Owl said:
Rubbish. It's all learned.

Hey, just watch where you are throwing your rubbish. Are you british?

I didn't say you are born with the sound, I said you either have it or you don't. That it is learned is some times true. But unless you want to smoke, drink and scream your way into that type of sound, you are not going to get there in a single session of recording. There is no way to take someone who does not have this element to their voice and make it for the purpose of a recording. It takes time, and it is learned, I agree.

Also, no amount of gear is going to get you there either.

Back