vocalist & novice remixer needs software/gear advice

randumbdots...

Hi,

First off, I'd like to say I'm sure glad this place exists. I found a forum on Yahoo Groups with a similar theme, but there were only like 3 posts a month. This bbs is incredibly activity; it's great to see1

I have a two different interests that I want to pursue, and eventually converge.
Interest #1: Recording vocals, which is my best musical talent, although I have enough key/guit skills to get me by.
Interest #2: I'd like to learn how to do remixes/mashups/loops. In general, I'd like to build some skills so I can participate on the relatively new http://www.ccmixter.org/ site and similar sites. BTW - It's a cool site to just peruse. The artists there basically allow each other to sample their work (via creative commons license), and so you can see one song or remix's heredity, so to speak.
The Convergence: Once I build some skills, maybe do my own acapellas & use them in remixes, etc.

Alright, I'll get on with the questions:
1) audio/midi software ($100 budget): Given my needs (recording, some basic sequencing for interest #1 and remixing/looping features like tempo syncing for interest #2), what are the best options? I was thinking of trying a free option like Audacity, but it doesn't have midi.
2) sound card: To be honest, I was just going to get my feet wet with my computer's vanilla card in combination with some free software and the gear I already have (see point 3 below). I was also considering moving up to either the Creative Labs audigy2 NS ($75) or audigy 2 Z ($110 it's PCMCIA). Since I'm pretty much on my own for now, I think stereo in/out will be fine for my needs. Any other sound cards for similar $ that have similar fidelity and maybe better features?
3) other gear? Right now I have an SM-58 dyn mic, a small Art tube section mic preamp, a small Alesis compressor, a small Alesis sound effect unit, an entry-level acoustic guitar, and a couple midi keyboards (one old Kawaii / one entry-level Yamaha). Oh yeah, and I have a newer laptop that will be central to my recording solution. I also have a bunch of cables, adapters, etc. that goes with my electronic gear. As a first move, I was thinking of moving to the Studio Projects B1 condenser mic or maybe even the B3 if I can find the cash. I have a decent set of headphones (my only monitoring option since I play at night while the kids & wife sleep), but I was also thinking of upgrading those to some Grados. Is there anything else I need to get started.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

dots...

Hi Dots,

Seems that you have quite alot of equipment and the determination to get you started!

Regarding questions, first one wanting some MIDI/Audio software with $100 max budget, basically you need to try them all out before throwing your $100 at one. Im quite fortunate as i can access alot of studios where i can use different software for free to try out before buying.

I have to say, Cubase SE or LE might be a good choice? This is good software for Audio and MIDI and SE is basically the watered down version of SX. Se currently sells for around $80, LE for around $110 and SX for around $700. (Please note, i dont use Dollars, so i apologise if that is wrong, im just transferring the English price into dollars using my musical mind...) So yeah, if you can try out software before you buy, that would be great, if not, i think Cubase SE would suit you.

Sound cards: I hear you say its a Laptop you are using, so personally, i would get a USB or a Firewire sound card. For the budget your saying, how about the Edirol UA-20, that goes for around $110, has 24bit quality, decent little sound card which connects via USB. (More Info -> : http://www.nusystems.co.uk/buy.asp?p=829&price=Edirol_UA20 )

If you definately want a PCI card, then maybe the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Soundcard? thats a 4 in 4 out soundcard, also has MIDI connections for you. (Link: http://www.nusystems.co.uk/buy.asp?p=306&price=M-Audio_Audiophile_2496 ) Thats around $80 which is a great price for it. But again, you will need to open the laptop up to get it fitted which could cost a bit, unless your not bothered about voiding the warranty and doing it yourself.
Again the prices are only a guess at the dollar price, the links are in english, so you might want to get the exact price using an online converter (http://www.xe.com/ucc/)

Regarding other gear you need, Only you know that. Personally i would suggest only buying equipment when you need it. If your going to be using MIDI you might want to invest in a sound module which gets you excellent MIDI sounds. The SM58 is a excellent mic for all round use (also great for those heavy handed roadies!!!) If your wanting a specific audio range, then you might want to invest in a nice condenser mic.

Like i said, dont rush in and just buy something that you think you might need, if your on a tight budget (like me) i only go out and buy something when im sat at home recording and get upset because i cant do a specific job because i dont have the hardware!!

Hope some of this is a bit of use to you, good luck with buying all your equipment, and keep recordin'! :)

Peace :rolleyes:

thanks

Thanks, Tifstorey, for the thoughtful and helpful response. I have been considering Cubase SE, and it's good to hear someone with more experience confirm that it is a good choice. As far as other gear, I'm going to follow your advice and wait (except for maybe a pop filter for my mic), although I suspect that once I get into recording a bit, I'll want the new sound card (the Edirol indeed looks good!)....dots... :D

Back