Vocal style

Pacifica604w

I'm just a new singer. My question is.... How do you develop a vocal style? Do you just pick someone you want to sound like (or take elements of their style) and just try to sound like them? Or is more of you use what you were born with?? I think I'm a rather plain soloist and I find my voice boring. How can I expand on what I've got?

Pacifica604w said:
I'm just a new singer. My question is.... How do you develop a vocal style? Do you just pick someone you want to sound like (or take elements of their style) and just try to sound like them? Or is more of you use what you were born with?? I think I'm a rather plain soloist and I find my voice boring. How can I expand on what I've got?

How do you expand on what you got? --
With at least 30 minutes a day of mi mi mi, eeooeeoo etc a day, and then, when you;ve done your workout, you do a song.

Yes, it is a question of using what you were born with, but you can do a lot with it.

The number one thing is to find a good teacher. Makes all the difference. If you are really serious, go out and get a good teacher. I found one, she costs me $40 per hour

Everybody's voice is different. A style will develop on it's own. Don't try to sound like someone else! That could ruin your instrument.

Well, I just started singing out of neccesity...I cant stand vocalists. After me and firebirds last band...

So when nobody was around, I just wentinto the vocal both and started recording some stuff. Then I listened to it. I figured out what sounded good that way, and what didnt(you cant trust what you hear in your own head while your singing).

I cant sing that great, but I do ok.

So basically, listen to recordings of yourself and find out what your good at...and go with it.

Embelish

I have really been able to develop what I would call *my* vocal style, by immitating other vocalists.

Some of the vocalists I've studied, are pretty well suited to my voice, some not. Even still the ones that are either way out of my range, or tonal spectrum offer a good challenge. A good example of this is Tony Braxton- my voice definitly doesn't do her justice, and I can't completely match her range, but I think she is one of the tastiest vocalists out there, so I've worked on several of her tunes.

I play percussion too, so I'd apply the analogy of rudiments (little foundational drum exercises) to this practice. At first you start out with really basic ones (like Layla's memememe and eeooeeoo), then work up to more difficult ones (try a Toni B, Boyz to Men, or Stevie Wonder run and work on it until you can nail it), then you'll find yourself able to use it, or some semblance of it in your own runs and improvs (just like drum rudiments will often show up in drum fills and solos).

I am a big fan of ballads and R&B, so in order to learn the style, I think it's been important for me personally, at least, to work on immitating some of my favorites, and from that, I've formed what I would consider *my* style. Ask even the great musicians who their influences are and they'll give you a list. You can bet that they spent some time learning pieces from those artists, and usually you can feel an incling of the "influential artist" in their style.

Someone mentioned not hurting your instrument, which is a good concern. I definitly used to strain on some things that I should have approached differently. My vocal teacher absolutly helped with that, but even once you know your limits, I think it is good to push them a little.

My 2.5 cents

-J

if you just sing all the time, you will develop a style all your own naturally.

lessons are ok for teaching you how not to damage your voice, but outside of that, in my opinion, they are useless (unless you want to learn opera or something like that)

bottom line: if you want to sing, just do it... and do it how YOU do it... dont bother activly imitating others, your influences will work their way in wether you realize it or not.

-alex

Back