vocal style/mic choice

altcountry

Why would someone start their thread with "newbie here!" when our questions usually speak for ourselves?--

Does vocal style have much influence on mic choice? For example, I have a deep voice with not much range (if I had a nickel for everytime someone said, "you sound just like Johnny Cash", I'd have at least ten bucks) should I be looking at condenser mics, large diaphragm, etc., or what??? Anything out there for under 200$ for a first time set-up?? Thanks in advance.

if you have a deep voice then the rode nt1-a would be a good choice for 200$US . Due to its high boost it sounds so rich for men's voice. the only problem is sibilence so you'll need a de-esser.

I personnaly just bought an AKG C2000B. I thought at first that it sounded rich ( i tested it at the store) But when I compared it to my friend's NT1 I freaked out... The nt1 sounds so good. but i don't have any sibilence problence with my C2000b.

Thierry

If you have to start with "ONE" vocal mic, I would have to recommend the EV RE-20. It's one of the ultimate "multi-purpose" mics out there, and amazingly good on the "big-voiced" population.

On top of that, if you're not in the best room, it will probably serve you better than most condenser mics (it's a dynamic)...

At least try the beast...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

An RE-20 or a Shure SM-7 (NOT a 57). These are radio DJ mics. They imart that deep "radio" voice. Great mics.

lapieuvre said:
if you have a deep voice then the rode nt1-a would be a good choice for 200$US . Due to its high boost it sounds so rich for men's voice. the only problem is sibilence so you'll need a de-esser.

I personnaly just bought an AKG C2000B. I thought at first that it sounded rich ( i tested it at the store) But when I compared it to my friend's NT1 I freaked out... The nt1 sounds so good. but i don't have any sibilence problence with my C2000b.

Thierry

I thought he said $200. Where can you get an Electrovoice RE 20 for $200? Sign me up!

For the under $200 I would look at Oktava MK319, Studio Projects B1, B3 or C1 depending on how your sibilence is.

Blessings, Terry

Hi alt.
The musical style can be important because it tends to indicate how dense a mix the voice has to be heard through.

Johnny Cash used the RCA 77D ribbon at Sun.
Two dynamic microphones which have a similar tone to that are the Electro-Voice RE15 and RE16. They run about $100 or so used, depending on condition.

He also used the Shure 545 series
on classic live recordings, which is the
fraternal twin to the SM57.

The EV above is less fussy about which mic pre
is used though for good sound.

With the other $100, IMHO the Studio Projects B1 would most likely be a be a nice complement. Oktava's are hit or miss in quality from a Banjo Depot type store.

Chris

P.S. You probably have more range than
you think. The book/exercise CD
"Set Your Voice Free" by Roger Love
would be helpful.

Back