vocal strip

Lo-Fi Mike

6176 or
Robbie to a Distressor

so I've got this Robbie and was thinking about getting rid of it and replacing it with a channel strip (6176) mainly for vocals, kick and direct bass.
Then i thought well the Robbie does sound pretty nice, how about just throwing a Distressor after it.

I've used an LA610 and found the Robbie to be a little smoother than the 610, just not sure about the 1176 v/s the Distressor

any experience to share with the
6176 or the Distressor would be greatly appreciated.

mike

6176 or
Robbie to a Distressor

so I've got this Robbie and was thinking about getting rid of it and replacing it with a channel strip (6176) mainly for vocals, kick and direct bass.
Then i thought well the Robbie does sound pretty nice, how about just throwing a Distressor after it.

I've used an LA610 and found the Robbie to be a little smoother than the 610, just not sure about the 1176 v/s the Distressor

any experience to share with the
6176 or the Distressor would be greatly appreciated.

mike

so yea, the 1176 is a great comp. it's not nearly as versatile as a distressor though. and the distressor can do a half way decent 1176 sort of thing, but it's certainly different. if you are prepared to dish out on a distressor then just do it. great device. can change your tone completely. and you like your robbie (don't blame you).

so keep it. either will be great of course, no losing situations here.

but I'd get a distressor based on your question. there are a ton of other great options as well of course. I do'nt own a distressor but have used them a LOT. very very cool. I own an 1176 and have some great pres in my home studio (everything from ward beck to api to map to ssl to mpa gold to yamaha, I love them all, all great).

cheers,
Don

Yep...I agree with Don. The Distressor is a swiss army knife compressor...the only thing I haven't used it on successfully is the mix buss.

Frank

Back