vocal recordings?

carbonscoring

im recording vocals this weekend and im looking for the best possible way to do so. Im using cakewalk sonor, with a basic soundblaster soundcard. the mic i'll be using is just a plain old $30 mic. I know im not going to get proffesional sound quality but, with what i have to work with what are the best techniques. Room, distance from mic, eq, ect.....

if any suggestion please let me know.

carbonscoring.

Well, I'm still doing alot of experimenting in that area. Here's what I've been doing:

I use cheap CAD-10 mics, and a couple of other 'better' mics. I have a huge challenge with a singer that just doesn't move air like the rest of us. I've recorded with the mic right in front of his face, and with one on a boom over top of it and pointed in an angle downward toward his top lip. I had other mics on him this last time as well, but these two mics are my primary source.

I like to record with no effects, because I can add the effects later as plugins or external devices...recording to a new track. That way I can have the untouched recorded tracks for later, in case I get a better idea.

The mic is plugged into a mixer, using it's preamps. I'm not sure how well you can do going direct to the Mic-in on the SB Live, but I think it would be much better through a low-noise mixer with pre-amp capability. You'll have more control over the sound going into the computer, because you can listen through headphones off of the mixer, and adjust the EQ, levels (avoid clipping) and any effects you must use before recording it on the computer.

This is from my limited experience in Micing. All of our guitars and basses are run direct. Our drums are mic'd and run through my Fostex VM200 mixer...mixed through headphones, then sent to the computer. The Vocals are both sent to the PA's Mixer, then direct out to the Fostex Mixer, where I feed it into my computer.

I handle I/O to my computer through a Digital I/O card, the Frontier Designs Dakota card, but the process wouldn't be much, if any, different from using an analog card. I would assume that you are feeding your inputs into the Line In jack of your SB Live.

Good luck,
Tom Kemp

Tom Has some good Ideas, My spin......

Without knowing what your mic might be like it is hard to say but, if you record with a flat Eq. You will be using the mic to the most of it's ability. You can mess around with that raw track as much as you would like (depending on your det up/software). I would save one track of the vocals for just incase. Duplicate the track for screwing with. That way you can always start over. I save whole mixes as I go, and I have undo for several levels so I do not worry about duplicating the track my self, but for you it may be an Idea?

all mics have their own sound. You have a normal dynamic mic I assume?
most normal "live mics" tend to be a little weak on the high end and I would try adding some highs at about 12-15 khz. I do not know what type of EQ you are using or are used to so I won't go further.

I will tell you this. For years I mixed way to bassy on the vocals. I am still trying to get over it. I guess I was trying to match what I heard in my head "being a bassy singer". You know,vibrating skull bones and all.

As well, for years I used way too many/much effects on guitar and vocals. Use just enough to be able to hear them where needed. I do not mean hear them well either. I mean squint your eyes, cup your ear hear them. Then let your self get used to it for a while. And never ever record with effects if at all possible. record, adjust tone, then add effects. Spend way more time on your vocal tone and quality than on dumping effects in.

Distance from mic? I have EV "live" mics that sound best half way down your throat. I have a condensor mic that sounds best (me singing) 2 to 3 feet away. Tough call man. I would stretch a pair of pantyhose over a hanger (firm but not to tight:)) about 6 inches away from the mic. Do not use the crotch!!!! It is much too distracting and might muffle the sound:). A knitting hoop from wallmart would do great to stretch the panty hose over. If it is 6 inches back . the singer will be 8 to 12 inches back. If you have distortion move further back. take any foam ball off the mic when using panty hose. Foam balls and panty hose don't mix!:) (this message has been brought to you by the ad counsil) The panty hose do about the same thing but the panty hose will not muffle the singer as much. they are better for stopping pop noises when you don't have to worry about wind noise. (I could say something but I won't).

Hope this helps

F.S.

Back