Vocal recording

ManInMotion711

Im not sure how else to word this but how do you make all the vocals sound like one constant volume? Like take most stone sour songs for instance, He does alot of quieter vocals but then he also does alot of screams and it all sounds the same. Besides constantly changing the input volume is there an effect i can use to accomplish this? I apologize if this is a dumb question im just not that used to recording vocals. Any help would be appreciated.:spank:

Hey MIM,
There are three main ways to do this.
In order of best to worst.

1: Work the mic. If you move close for whispers and lean back for screams you'll be 90% there.
2: Volume automation. Adjust the volume level of your track on the fly. I don't mean input gain. You can ride a control surface fader, or click and point with a mouse.
3: Compression. This will limit dynamic range, but it isn't likely to sound good. I'm putting this in more as a 'don't do' kind of thing.

If the singer hasn't a clue no2 will save you but can sometimes be a little unnatural sounding.
A combination of 1+2 should always work.
If you can get away with 1 only, you're laughing. :)

If you're the singer, study some of the true professionals on stage or in studio, if you can.
I'm assuming here, but I guess watching someone like Freddy at Wembley would be a good start.

Thanks dude ill give this all a shot. Ive been trying to use compression but its kinda eh. So basically keep the Input gain where it is the whole time just work on mic placement ( distance ) from whispers to louder more powerful vocals?

Yeah, pretty much.
It's not so much mic placement as actually moving your head/body.
Some guys will hover 6-8" from a mic then maybe lean back at least a foot to wail. It makes so much sense.
Tilting off axis can be useful to for certain things whether it's loud blasts or plosive sounds.

Practice and review, practice and review.

You don't want to completely level a performance; Keep that in mind.
You want to take the edge off it. Dynamics are good. :)

I tend to try to adjust volumes using automation before compressing - this lets the compressor act more evenly throughout a part, making it easier to set the attack and release times.

Is it wrong to equal (or nearly) the volume adding some gain on the weak parts on the track?

I´ve been doing like these lately. It gives more work, course.

Is it wrong to equal (or nearly) the volume adding some gain on the weak parts on the track?

I´ve been doing like these lately. It gives more work, course.

That's what was suggested - automation to get the vocals at more-or-less the same volume throughout. It's better to bring the loud parts down to the level of the softer parts, though, rather than boosting the soft parts and increasing the noise level in those areas.

Back