Vocal recording, which interface?

linz1

Hi, I am not new to digital recording having used Cubase for sometime now, but only recording virtual instruments.

I would like concentrate on songwriting and would like to record some good quality vocals, i do not have a clue where to start.

Do i need to buy an audio interface or a mixing desk or both? i will be using sm57/58 mics and maybe some bass guitar and that's it, everything else will be virtual such as effects and other instruments.

Looked through some of the threads but new gear keeps coming out.

Any new good quality interface will work. I suggest you get one with 48v phantom power, even though those mics don't need it, you may want to upgrade to a better vocal mic in the future. The units I recommend are the Steinberg UR22 and the Focusrite units. If you want to get more options, you can get an audio PCI card like the M-audio 2496 then buy a separate channel strip. The benefit there is that a channel strip may have compression and EQ, where an external interface usually does not. The only reason you would need a mixer is if you plan on having multiple inputs (say several mics for several singers at one time) or if you plan to play bass and sing at the same time. (an interface has 2 inputs you can use at the same time) Hope that helps, Good luck !

Any new good quality interface will work. I suggest you get one with 48v phantom power, even though those mics don't need it, you may want to upgrade to a better vocal mic in the future. The units I recommend are the Steinberg UR22 and the Focusrite units. If you want to get more options, you can get an audio PCI card like the M-audio 2496 then buy a separate channel strip. The benefit there is that a channel strip may have compression and EQ, where an external interface usually does not. The only reason you would need a mixer is if you plan on having multiple inputs (say several mics for several singers at one time) or if you plan to play bass and sing at the same time. (an interface has 2 inputs you can use at the same time) Hope that helps, Good luck !

Thanks that is really helpful. i will read up on the Steinberg UR22 and the Focusrite unit/M-audio 2496, i forgot to add that i am using an old Delta 1010lt sound card with Cubase 5 as i use my Roland JV to trigger the vsts.
One last question, would you say i would get better quality recording with a phantom mic? the vocal sound i am trying to achieve would be that rich/breathy vocal sound similar to Kate bush/Enya

Thanks that is really helpful. i will read up on the Steinberg UR22 and the Focusrite unit/M-audio 2496, i forgot to add that i am using an old Delta 1010lt sound card with Cubase 5 as i use my Roland JV to trigger the vsts.
One last question, would you say i would get better quality recording with a phantom mic? the vocal sound i am trying to achieve would be that rich/breathy vocal sound similar to Kate bush/Enya

If you have a delta 1010 you don't need an interface or the 2496. All you need is a channel strip or small mixer, the 1010 will work fine. Most channel strips are expensive but some are reasonable like a JoeMeek or Presonus or ART.

You can also look into small mixers since the 1010 has multiple inputs.

A condenser (phantom powered mic) will get much closer to the Enya sound than an Sm58. Mics also vary from in price but there are plenty that are fairly priced that will do the job.

This is a good site to do some window shopping : Channel Strips | Sweetwater.com
You can also get many great deals on Ebay to save money if you know what you want.

Welcome to HR !

Hi, I am not new to digital recording having used Cubase for sometime now, but only recording virtual instruments.

I would like concentrate on songwriting and would like to record some good quality vocals, i do not have a clue where to start.

Do i need to buy an audio interface or a mixing desk or both? i will be using sm57/58 mics and maybe some bass guitar and that's it, everything else will be virtual such as effects and other instruments.

Looked through some of the threads but new gear keeps coming out.

you will need an interface.

then most likely you will want some eq and compression on the vocal.
you can do it all in the software or use outboard stuff.

its getting harder and harder for me to justify hardware these days, even though its got its own appeal.
but the software can do so fn much and its often free, and you can slap the software gear on a bunch of tracks and adjust it without losing your settings on the other tracks....hardware you have to adjust and then if you go back to another track, the knobs are all changed etc..:confused:

the SM58 man...
Mic Shootout at Tigersonic Studio Neumann U87 vs Oktava 319 vs Shure SM58 vs AKG 3000 female singer - YouTube

Appreciate the replies, just so i am getting this clear, i do need to buy a pre-amp then for the vocal mics?
(sorry to appear nieve in this area)

Yes, the Delta 1010 needs a preamp to get up to recording level(s) so you need at least one channel of preamp that would plug into one of the inputs on your 1010. Again I would get a preamp that has 48v phantom power (most do) in case you want to upgrade your microphone to a condenser.

If you click on CoolCat's link, you'll see that microphones can have a price range of over 10 to 1, but have VERY small (and personal) differences. Spending money on a superb microphone can be pointless if the other kit in the chain won't let you appreciate it! I ignore anyone who recommends newcomers spend vast sums on a mic, when what they really need badly is just experience and trained ears!

If you click on CoolCat's link, you'll see that microphones can have a price range of over 10 to 1, but have VERY small (and personal) differences. Spending money on a superb microphone can be pointless if the other kit in the chain won't let you appreciate it! I ignore anyone who recommends newcomers spend vast sums on a mic, when what they really need badly is just experience and trained ears!

Who recommended spending vast sums of money on a mic ? The OPs audio sound card will support any good quality mic.

Last edited:
its getting harder and harder for me to justify hardware these days, even though its got its own appeal.
but the software can do so fn much and its often free, and you can slap the software gear on a bunch of tracks and adjust it without losing your settings on the other tracks....hardware you have to adjust and then if you go back to another track, the knobs are all changed etc..:confused:

[/url]

Sorry, but I disagree, the source is what makes a good recording, not the piles of software people throw at their mixes these days.

Last edited:
The Delta 1010-LT has 2 mic preamps built in with XLR connectors on analog inputs 1&2, no phantom power but ok for dynamic mics like the shure SM 57/58.

Sorry, I didn't see that on the M-audio website. In that case the OP can record vocals with what she has. If she wants to change to a condenser mic all she will need is a phantom power supply.

I have a 2496 but I keep thinking of getting a 1010lt as a "tidy up" for my setup before they all disappear!

One caveat about channel strips..Most run pro levels of +4dBu and have high outputs, the DBX 286s e.g. has a max out of +21dBu (about 8V rms) whereas the maximum the 1010lt can accept is +14dBu even when set for +4dBu operation. If you are buying such a device for the dynamics processing it is usual that you need to run the kit pretty "hot" and so a resistive attenuator to soak up the difference might be in order?

Of course, you don't HAVE to run a basic strip or mixer that hot!

I would also advise against buying any cheap gear with a valve in it. The valve is operated in such a way that it either does not give proper results or just has no effect at all! Making gear that runs valves at their proper voltages is expensive if long term reliability is not to be compromised. Then, DECENT pre amp valves cost!...And they will only ever get rarer and more expensive.

Dave.

A friend of mine has just recently bought a Behringer: XENYX mixing desk for his guitar and it sounds really good, so i think i am going to aim for this with a phantom powered mic. Hope this combination will sound well for vocals and maybe some guitar/bass.
Thank you for the warm welcome , looking forward to gening up on the threads and posts.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has just recently bought a Behringer: XENYX mixing desk for his guitar and it sounds really good, so i think i am going to aim for this with a phantom powered mic. Hope this combination will sound well for vocals and maybe some guitar/bass.
Thank you for the warm welcome , looking forward to gening up on the threads and posts.

I ran a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer into my 2496 for a couple of years. It is a viable option. I have since upgraded to an Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer and if you can run to the extra I would strongly advise it.

Does your friend use a microphone through the mixer to record guitar amplifier? I ask because although you can plug a guitar into a mixer's line input it rarely sounds good. The A&H is different in that is it has high impedance line inputs specially for that purpose. There are however other options such as an active or passive "DI" box.

On balance I would say a mixer is a better operational choice to a channel strip.

Dave.

Hi Dave,
Well he is running his guitar rig, 1 Pod and 2 RCFs into the Behringer ( 1222 usb fx) which is not miked up, so it will sound good i suppose.
As for the Allen and Heath desk there is not much price difference, so i am going to look into that as i need to gen up on these desks. I am not familiar with channel strips so i will stick to what i am more familiar with, thanks for the great info though it all helps.

Back