Vocal Range

Tukkis

Hey guys

I'm 15 going on 16 years old.

What I want to know is how to reach the higher notes without straining and my voice just collapsing?

Will my voice mature alot in the next few years and allow me to reach the higher notes with ease?

Please give me any vocal warmups or techniques to warm my voice that could help.

Is there any benefit of going to get singing lessons at my age or should I wait a couple of years?

Thanks
Tukkis

well, what do you consider 'higher notes'?

this can be very relative depending upon the register of one's voice.

what notes can you hit, can't you hit, and which one's do you want to be able to hit?

answer this, and then i think we can get you some good advice.

Vocals lesson could help you to understand proper breathing, posture and the correct way to "open your throat" to relax and and avoid the collapse you referenced.

I took vocal lessons after years of being a "rock & roll singer". After a half dozen lesson I improved my tone, added a few notes to my range and made the transition from my natural voice to falsetto much smoother. I can also make it through a night of singing without going "hoarse" which was a real problem before my lessons.

It is better and easier to take lessons when your young - rather than learn poor technique and then try to unlearn it when your older.

Hi Tukis

I'm not a singer but I know and play :-)eek: ) with quite a few. There isn't a single one who won't say that lessons are a good idea. Arguably even more so at your age (you lucky sod) - get it right now and you'll have a strong singing voice for life.

However the choice of teacher is critical. You absolutely have to find somebody who understands the type of singing you want to do. There's a whole heap of failed classical singers who scrape a living as teachers, most of whom should be avoided.

The chances of the first teacher you try being the right one are pretty slim, and tell yourself it might take a good few months (or longer - depends on how much time and money you can spare for it) before you do find the right one. Don't hesitate to walk away from anybody you don't feel comfortable with.

Tukkis said:
What I want to know is how to reach the higher notes without straining and my voice just collapsing?
Hey Tukkis. I've increased my range in a very short time (and improved my general technique, too) just by taking the advice laid out in Roger Love's book, Set Your Voice Free.

Tukkis said:
Will my voice mature alot in the next few years and allow me to reach the higher notes with ease??
Your voice will mature, but that alone isn't going to do anything to improve your singing or increase your range. You have to practice, too.

Tukkis said:
Please give me any vocal warmups or techniques to warm my voice that could help.
Love's book has plenty of those, and it comes with a CD that's very helpful.

Tukkis said:
Is there any benefit of going to get singing lessons at my age or should I wait a couple of years
Life is short. Get to it.

whoah HapiCmpur!!!!! Is your real name Roger Love?

your doin a great plug for that book!!! Its making ME want to buy it.

anyway tukkis iv heard your stuff and you got no hope!!!!

dont worry im just jokin!!!!

lessons = good but not completely necessary

i better not get into this actually, last time i had a conversation about this, well, have a look.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=58843

cya

Back