Vocal Problems

Pcpg

have a problem with vocals. They sound diffrent than what I am in real life. I lose all the deepness and I sound british. lol.

i have a 1006bp mxl mic hooked up to a art mic tube preamp via xlr. Then i have a 1/4 to rca wire going from the preamp to sound card which is a audiophile 2496. The thing is that my sound card wants two wires going into it but i only put one so in cubase it only will record on the left side or right. Plus the jacks are unbalanced and their is no convertor just a pre amp. this is the back of my art tube.Which i take one wire and connect to soundcard. DO u think getting a device that splits the signal to two will help. Or maybe gettin convertors or balanced jacks what can i do.

- = = = = -
-xlr(input) 1/4(input) xlr(output) 1/4(output) -

My voice does not sound as good as on record it sounds nasal techno like. I loose that hardness.

No one thinks their voice sounds the same recorded as it does in 'real life'.
You are used to the resonant tones of your head being that your ears are mounted to it. you are finally hearing how everyone else in the world hears you...

Either that or you are having a phase issue of some kind.

- Make sure your phantom power is on
- If you have a bass roll-off switch on the mic, turn it off
- Make sure you're using a MONO 1/4" to RCA.

There's no point in splitting the signal and recording both, just record in mono. You kinda lost me on the preamp/audio card hookup description, so if the above doesn't work, speak up and we'll try again.

naw it didnt work

I kinda changed my voice and I am gettin closer to what I want. But do u think a betta mic or better amp would help. Because when i hear 50 cent or joe budden etc their voice is so crisp and clear.

ok

somebody might disagree but i will say that the art tube preamp is giving you most of that nasal sound. i have one that i only use to listen to my headphones through. get a better preamp. mackie mixers come with good preamps and phantom power.

Pcpg said:
have a problem with vocals. They sound diffrent than what I am in real life. I lose all the deepness and I sound british. lol.

i have a 1006bp mxl mic hooked up to a art mic tube preamp via xlr. Then i have a 1/4 to rca wire going from the preamp to sound card which is a audiophile 2496. The thing is that my sound card wants two wires going into it but i only put one so in cubase it only will record on the left side or right. Plus the jacks are unbalanced and their is no convertor just a pre amp. this is the back of my art tube.Which i take one wire and connect to soundcard. DO u think getting a device that splits the signal to two will help. Or maybe gettin convertors or balanced jacks what can i do.

That sounds correct to me as far as the connections. Try recording it in mono like sean said. Also try adjusting the preamp i.e. lowering the input gain and adjusting the output gain, or lowering both and raising the gain (volume) on your soundcard. Another thing to try out is after recording the best sound you can get, is eqing the nasally sound out. and boosting the lower freqs.

hope this helps some,
larry

Re: ok

jugalo180 said:
somebody might disagree but i will say that the art tube preamp is giving you most of that nasal sound. i have one that i only use to listen to my headphones through. get a better preamp. mackie mixers come with good preamps and phantom power.

I thought the art tube effects the sound in more of a muddier way almost adding substance instead of taking away and leaving a nasal sound behind. Thats just what I heard though.

Back