vocal problems!!!!!!

deneil

my vocals are not sounding like like cd quailty records every thing else is good my mix is right but vocals are not clear enough to me what should i put on them to get them right and iam using pro tools 6.7 any help would be greatly noted.

i'm with curry.But one thing that improved my vox a ton was making sure i had the gain up as high as it went without clipping. But yeah..Need more info

help

i mean the vocals sound dull they dont pop like say a store bought cd they sound dull i put eq on them but still there is something missing from the vocal presence now can u help . .

Maybe a bad mic i would say. Just guessing though. Compression, EQ, light vocal distortion, reverb, (delay maybe). Thats what i use sometimes.

What kind of mic are you using? are you drenching the vocals with effects? Really need a detailed list of what you are using and how you are doing it!

help

iam using a audio technics condesner mic it wass about 250.00 pro tools set up with digi rack oo2 i dont know what thw problem is but would love some help on getting vocals right for final mixdown.

I would say that 90% of getting a good vocal track is in technique and performance.

Obviously, the singing performance is number 1 - you can't polish a turd. Well, I guess you can, but all you have in the end is a shiny turd.

Assuming the singer is performing well, you need to make sure the mic is positioned close enough to the mouth-hole to excite the microphone's transducer properly, to get the required proximity effect, and to overshadow any negative effects of bad room sound. But not close enough to overload the mic.

Once recorded properly, does the vocal track have a place carved out for it in the mix "forest"? If not, it will not stand out as you desire.

Only after you have seen to these aspects should you begin to worry about effects such as EQ, compression, etc..

The choice of recording hardware and software really is secondary to performance and technique. I know that a lot of pop music is manufactured with all kinds of tricks - many "stars" really can not sing a lick - but is that what you want?

Let's see - it could be anything from artist's skill and technique, mic positioning and room acoustics, type of mic pre, mix levels and effects, # of vocal tracks for the part and their pan positions, lada dada do. Oh, and let us not forget, since we're comparing to cd commercial quality, the quality of the mastering job. There's definitely more than a couple factors involved.

Back