Vocal problem + Losing Range

kkh961216

I am 15, and up until this spring, I could belt any note all the way to 3rd E (Tenor). I can still go as high, but I'm losing the full sound of it and I can't belt the mid-ranged notes as well anymore. I do this every year, but this year it feels kind of different. It feels like I'm straining my throat for some reason, and the sensation is something blocking down my sound (near the centre of the throat). Also, my stamina drastically dropped from 3 hours no problem to 20 minutes and dead. I've had a harsh flu a few weeks ago, but that's completely gone. Also, I have trouble hanging on to notes and my throat is easily dried.

I get less sleep than I used to, from 10 hours now to 7-5 hours of sleep. I'm really desperate. it feels like my voice won't EVER come back ....

-But after I sing and wear myself out, about an hour or two later my voice almost completely comes back.

-My throat still hurts a bit during the day, and I'm constantly coughing (very lightly)

-Lots of mucus, but won't ever come out =.= It also feels like I'm losing grip on my voice and something is pressing it down

-That's all I have for now, but if asked for, I can answer for any other symptoms.

PLEASE HELP ME I'M ACTUALLY SO WORRIED

Oh yes, that's a good point. Um my tonsils were extremely swollen, but they're calming down now, or so they say. They gave me a puffer. Thanks for the quick reply though!

Also, you're 15. Your range tells me you're likely male. Most young men around your age experience significant changes to their voices. I'm not gonna have the birds and bees talk with you, though. This is a message board and you're a stranger, and that's just creepy LOL. Talk to your doc, your parents, your vocal coach (if you have one). Everything will probably work out fine. In the meantime, relax. Nothing will kill your range faster than being worried about your range. Confidence and trust in yourself are key. Take care!

at least you had a good range to start with :(
do you have lessons? it may be some simple excercise which you need to warm up your voice with.
If you're convinced its nothing that simple then go see a doctor.
BUT, I think the most likely reason is this thing called puberty.

Thanks for the response guys :D um, I used to have a vocal coach I until I decided she didn't really do anything except assign work. And about the voice changing thing, I'm not so sure because the tone of my voice isn't getting any lower, but it does feel like my air's going through a lot longer than it used to. HMM..... I've always been told my voice is high so maybe (hopefully) puberty will just pass by without really changing my voice up?

EDIT: It feels like my voice is resonating somewhere else than it used to.... It feels like it's ringing near the middle of my throat, and after a few hours after singing, the feeling's gone. It just feels like there's a lot of strain in my throat when I first start singing, and it disappears after a LONG while

well I never noticed my voice breaking, it was only after summer holidays when people said it had changed, but I do remember singing being easier before hand, also, if your voice has broken but you haven't noticed it, could it be that you are still singing songs at the same pitch as before? does it strain your voice when you sing notes lower?

mm.... It never really breaks and I don't think it got harder :/ It's more like having trouble pushing the sound to where it should be coming from :/ And yes, I sing songs at the same pitch at around 2nd E to 3rd C Range... And actually, I've never been able to go low before... but it feels more like there's a bump there now. But that could be because I've started coughing again as of today.... Seasonal allergy stuff. Basically, for higher notes, my problem is that it's not coming from where it used to... I can't push it up to my mask, the sound is just stuck at my throat now

Well, I have empathy for you because I'm 16 and my voice also changed in the past year or two. I used to hit super high notes probably the same way you did, and after my voice was done changing I got my range back up to an E4 without falsetto. It's natural and you will get you can still get that fullness back. The techniques I use have changed and it's similar to relearning how to hit the notes. Just keep up regular practices or whatever you do and if your throat starts hurting, take a break. Hope I helped :D

Relearn? Actually, in the last few days, I've been struggling. But then I read your post, and thought "maybe I should change my technique again" (Cause I do that twice a year or so) And that really helped :3 It's not as flexible for some reason, but it's almost back! Thanks!!!!!!! also, I found that taking a break helps a LOT LOL I rested for like 3 days and it's recovered a lot :# THANKS!!!!!!

Back