Vocal position

BLP

I was recording a track for someone over a hip hop instrumental that is main stream. They wanted their vocals to sound similar to the original. As I'm playing the original song thru my monitors I noticed the vocals on the original sound as if they are lower in position. Is that do to mic position?

I was recording a track for someone over a hip hop instrumental that is main stream. They wanted their vocals to sound similar to the original. As I'm playing the original song thru my monitors I noticed the vocals on the original sound as if they are lower in position. Is that do to mic position?

Do you mean lower in the mix?

The vocals are usually sitting in the middle of the mix not pan hard left or right. It's the space that is given to them.

Well you can get an upfront (punk rock) kinda sound by being right up on the mic with pop sheilds and all but you can move back from the mic for a more classic feel! EQ has a lot to do with placement.

One trick for getting a defocused vocal that seems to sound kind of "outside" or "behind" the mix without losing any other kind of presence is to pan it hard to one side, and pan a phase-inverted and slightly delayed copy of it hard to the other side. This can be done easily enough manually, but is also available as a "widening" plug-in effect in plugs such as Wave Arts' Panaorama and (*shudder*) Izotope's Ozone.

G.

Back