Vocal Mix

the theme of the song is good, and the beats tight. But some of the vocal mixes kinda take away from the song(don't get me wrong, for the most part it's slammin)like some of the doubling and the far away singing bit need to be touched up, but overall for a rough mix, this song is tight------I'm jealous.

the beat is freaking good. The instruments are awesome, but the vocals are quite bad.

On the vocals, I like the vocal melody, thats really nice, especially the chorus.

I also appreicate that you did not go crazy with the panningof the backing vox. It sounds more real this way.

Ok. THe voice sounds like it is a cheap mic. A very cheap mic. It has none of the smoothness of the instruments

The singer(s) have a good voice, but they are off pitch. Way off in some spots. I attribute this to a strange headphone mix. Vary the loudenss are maybe remove some bass instruments to try to fix the problems.

I can hear a room. Its either your room or a reverb room, but it sounds small and to bright.

Nice try. This song can go places but the vocals need a redo.

what mic/ reverb are using ?

you guys put your finger on just what I was afraid of. It IS a cheap mic... fucking piece of shit Oktava. Yes, the room is small. The reverb is just the Sonic Foundry Direct X. My vocal chain is like this:

Room:
Small bedroom with carpet and bare walls.

Hardware:
1. Oktava MC-319
2. M-audio Audio Buddy
3. M-audio Audiophile
plugins:
4. Noise Gate
5. Antares Mic Modeller
6. Sonic Foundry Graphic Dynamics (De-esser)
7. Sonic Foundry Wave Hammer (Compression)
8. Antares Auto-Tune
9. Sonic Foundry Reverb

Any suggestions for improving the sound?

One possible solution

The way to help in the situation is to start at the beginning in the chain. Improve on the mic. I don't know too much about the mic your useing but a good inexpensive mic that I use is Marshall 2003. I to use a spare bedroom with hardwood floors and little to no sound absorbtion, the room serves as a studio, an office and library.
here's a link to my recordings, the hardest part about the recording is being the vocalist, producer and engineer. Wearing all these hats impact my performance, so I decided to stick to mixing/engineering for clients. Give me some feedback.

http://www.broadjam.com/artistprofile/artistprofile.asp?artistID=1402

Back