Vocal Microphone

elmerfunk

To Infinity..and Beyond!!
I already have an RE-20. I just sent it to Telex to have it reconditioned and it should be perfect when it returns. I want to purchase a few more mics for live drums and guitars, do you think I need another mic for vocals or is the RE-20 good enough. There are so many new entry level mics out there like the MXL series. I was just wondering what anyone's thoughts were. I am in no way parting with the RE-20 just wondering if I should have another option.

Thanks

A LDC would be a nice addition. ADK make some pretty decent ones. And not too pricey.

Speaking of which, I just got an ADK A-51 'V-type', and it's quite nice! Happy I got it.

I've slinked around and done some trade deals, and thought about different 'flavors' I'd like to be able to have on hand for different voices, different rooms (I do some small location things). I've got a very small clutch of mics I can use for vox, including a mod on an SM-57- an inexpensive instrument mic (a dynamic).

So far:
-AT 4033a; LDC, good for vox, string instruments.
-ADK A-51; nice for vox, need to keep using it for better knowledge of it.
-SM-57 mod (See latest Tape-Op mag); flatter than stock 57, great for spoken-word and voice-over!
-Studio Projects B-3; multi-pattern, using it mostly for 'room mic'. Good mic.
-SM-58; Good for a surprising amount of chores, esp vox.
-Stock SM-57; Got a screamer? Use this!
-Sennheiser 435; Very cool high-gain-before-feedback mic, sensitive to your relative position, and nice sounding. Great for live, and miking cabs!

This is one of those things you just do... :rolleyes:

Yes, if you can, get more than one mic if you're not just recording yourself, or in one place. Look for deals, trade stuff you don't use. Have a few good items, keep your clutter down. Now, I would dig an RE-20!

Back