Vocal MIC to use with guitar (cabled)

hailflex

Hello guys!

I'm looking for a MIC for voice recording while playing with a cabled guitar, which already has its channel... if i get a condenser, it will probably grab the sound from the guitar, right?

In this situation, should i use a dynamic MIC instead? How can i solve this?

Dynamic mics generally let you work closer to them, and therefore with lower gain.
That's usually enough to reduce the ratio of voice to room ambience by a substantial amount, but unless you're talking about bleed from an amp I wouldn't worry too much either way.

From a performance point of view though, you might want to just record the guitar then do the vocals afterwards.

Even if im recording as a video?

I see many people using a condenser mic while playing an eletric-acoustic guitar... isn't there a change of recording the instrument sound with the vocal mic?

Electro-acoustic... theres no amp.

For now i just planned to buy a mic (still deciding what kind) and a simple USB audio interface.

I want to record each channel separately, to be able to edit them.

Electro-acoustic... theres no amp.

Ah....
Then you're stuffed.
As above, a dynamic can be better for this than a condenser, but you're always going to get an amount of bleed.
Positioning the mic so that the guitar is in (or close to) the rear will help too, but you'll never get true isolation.

Just mime the vocal when you're recording the guitar then re-record the vocal after,
or set up one mic for all and do a great balanced performance.

Ok!! Thanks for your help!

Maybe i can record both separately and split screen with both videos! I guess there are many ways to do it.

But for the voice, should i use a condenser?

I was thinking about Rode NTK or AT 4047, any suggestions?

Cool.
It's very much about preference, but those are certainly some very reputable microphones.

I suppose from a video point of view your probably don't want a dynamic right up in your face and a dynamic at a distance might require more gain than you can provide.

IMO a condenser would be a more suitable choice for recording at any distance.

Two ales and am done for.
Maybe it got flushed.?

I posted .....
Isolation or track the guitar first then record the vocals.

Even if im recording as a video?

I see many people using a condenser mic while playing an eletric-acoustic guitar... isn't there a change of recording the instrument sound with the vocal mic?

You'd be amazed how many Youtube videos are cheated, with the recording done properly in multiple takes, mixed, EQ'd, effects added etc. then mimed to for the video.

Back