vocal mic to thin out deep voice

martin

yo, i'm looking to rent a vocal mic to be used on a singer with a thick, deep voice. we're recording power pop, where a thinner voice is more of an asset. i am wondering if there is a good mic out there that has this natural characteristic. i'm looking specifically for comparisons of, say, TLM-103 to AKG C414 to NT-1, etc., you get the idea. does anyone know how these mics stack up against each other, as far as 'warmth' is concerned? the store is run by cranky alcoholics who will likely not let us audition various mics, so i need advice.

in the past, we've had good results with an AT C4000 (correct me if i'm wrong here). you know, the thin blue one. it did a good job thinning out his voice, but it was a little too 'present' and sibilant-y for my tastes. time for something better.

suggestions?

mm

the mic you're using now is an AT Midnight Blues electret condenser. I'm pretty sure it's not that C4000 or whatever you mentioned. maybe MB4000.

You need to audition the mics. Tell the cranky alcoholics that you're really gonna buy it from them if you find the right mic. Be polite. Show them your credit card, or better yet, a wad of cash or a fifth of Jack Daniels. But for this kind of purpose, you've got to find a way to audition the mics.

ya....... itz a lot easier to thin your voice while singing than it is to thickin it. But U just gotta know how, and trying to explain vocal technique over a BBS is a pain, but ask any classically trained vocal friends U have, they will know how to change the thickness of your voice. This also means the singer has to be willing to do this, which I can't garuntee =)

Sabith

Back