vocal mic suggestions within budget please help.

nosignal

the other guitarist, in my band who also sings wants to buy a good vocal mic, for recording, but he knows pretty much nothing about recording, so i was wondering which mic you all would suggest, probably for under or around $100. i was thinking about the mxl 990 mic, but im not really sure so i thought id get some suggestions from the people who know what they are talking about, so any suggestions would be awesome, thanks.

frontendaudio.com
fullcompass.com
if you go to guitarcenter.com you can find an mxl 990/991+preamp package for $100.
for as cheap as they are, the 990 doesn't suck.

Since your friend knows very little about recording, you'd probably want a dynamic mic because it takes way less care than a condenser/ribbon (both while in use and not in use). And since the budget is <$100, I'd go with a SM57.

zacanger said:
frontendaudio.com
fullcompass.com
if you go to guitarcenter.com you can find an mxl 990/991+preamp package for $100.

That is just too freakin' cheap to pass up!

Ford Van said:
That is just too freakin' cheap to pass up!

I have officially passed over to the "dark side" with the purchase of my first cheap ass chinese mic

c7sus I am sure is groaning! :D

paperstain said:
Since your friend knows very little about recording, you'd probably want a dynamic mic because it takes way less care than a condenser/ribbon (both while in use and not in use). And since the budget is <$100, I'd go with a SM57.

Not necessarily.

Beyer is German for good

Anything Beyerdynamic makes in the M series is quite good and usually pretty reasonable, look at an M300 or M400. Get them used and get them cheap, dynamics are pretty rough to break typically and I can almost guarantee you'll like the end result a lot more than the MXL 990. The Beyers are very forgiving regardless of the preamp involved. Good luck!

zacanger said:

Shit, I don't know man. This thing is pretty crappy!

Of course, it may be the Audio Buddy that is crappy too! LOL....Hard to say. All's I know is that if you talk hard enough into this thing, without ANY peak lights lighting up, and not even within -12dB of 0dbfs, I hear distortion!

i don't think the 990 is all that crappy....(FOR THE PRICE) but the funny thing is...i think the 991 has the same capsule in it...lol

chestwick91 said:
i don't think the 990 is all that crappy....(FOR THE PRICE) but the funny thing is...i think the 991 has the same capsule in it...lol

i think it's a turd but a few guys around here that i respect think otherwise. goes to show you how opinions vary.

TravisinFlorida said:
HA, ha! :D

What do you think of the 991? :D

I am going to be hard pressed to find a use for the 991. It was so bad that I didn't even bother to complain about it! LOL

Ok well if we are all gonna bad mouth the 990 an the 991...i did buy them as my first two recording mics...( to get the idea of mic placement,) but i will admit i sold them both and kept the case they were in as a new home for my mxl 603s
lol
Plus if somebody were to ask: "i want to record in my dusty unfinished basement...and whats phantom power" my only responce would be...get these mics

Back